67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 03-27-2001, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I removed the floor mat from my 68 FB, and couldn't believe my eyeballs. The trunk is really rusted out. I knew the weather strip needed replaced and already have it and was going to install it. But now, I have a bigger problem. So, I need to buy the trunk pan and need help or input on the best way to cut and replace.

The sides look fine with no rust above the lower pan. I took the back seat out and found a tiny bit of moister under the right corner. But, no rust yet.

Anyway, besides removing the fuel tank I need to know how far to cut in order to replace the complete lower pan. And, any other information which may be helpful.

I have a new mig welder, but have never used it, and I guess this is a good chance to learn how to weld right ?? So, if anyone has any ideas which might be helpful for someone that has never done this please let me hear from you. Yeah, I could take it and have it done by a pro, but I need to learn these things myself because I find that it's hard to own just one Pontiac, and the three I have all need some amount of work. Thanks for any help or input you may have. And good day my friends.

Mike

------------------
"Michael"
It's more than just a name. It's a way of life

Old 03-27-2001, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I removed the floor mat from my 68 FB, and couldn't believe my eyeballs. The trunk is really rusted out. I knew the weather strip needed replaced and already have it and was going to install it. But now, I have a bigger problem. So, I need to buy the trunk pan and need help or input on the best way to cut and replace.

The sides look fine with no rust above the lower pan. I took the back seat out and found a tiny bit of moister under the right corner. But, no rust yet.

Anyway, besides removing the fuel tank I need to know how far to cut in order to replace the complete lower pan. And, any other information which may be helpful.

I have a new mig welder, but have never used it, and I guess this is a good chance to learn how to weld right ?? So, if anyone has any ideas which might be helpful for someone that has never done this please let me hear from you. Yeah, I could take it and have it done by a pro, but I need to learn these things myself because I find that it's hard to own just one Pontiac, and the three I have all need some amount of work. Thanks for any help or input you may have. And good day my friends.

Mike

------------------
"Michael"
It's more than just a name. It's a way of life

Old 03-27-2001, 11:08 PM

Mike,
My suggestion would be to get a quality replacement pan first. Then set it inside the old pan and mark a line all the way around where the new one sets. Next, remove the new pan and then measure about 1/2" inside of the line you just scribed that will be your cut line. At this point go ahead and along the inside line. after you have cut out the old pan you should use a flanging tool and flange the new pan so that the old part that is left can overlap the new part with little noticeability. Then place the new pan in and make any final fitting cuts necessary for a nice looking appearance PLUS you will want a VERY TIGHT fit when mig welding any gaps will quickly burn through trust me on this I have made that mistake too many times. You will probably also need to get the trunk reinforcement braces that go between the pan and the gas tank, because the will probably be rusty as well and will be hard to remove from the old pan and be reused. The other thing I would by is some sheetmetal holding clamps from Eastwood, you drill a small hole through both panels use a pair of special pliers to insert them clamp through the hole and the hold the panels together very tightly. After you have in place just like you want it make some practice welds on your scrap that you cut out so that you can set you heat and wire speed, once you have both of those set good and are comfortable welding that thin of metal go ahead and weld the new pan in. Next, I would use a good quality seam sealer ( I personally like the brushable that Eastwood carries it does a real nice job) and brush it on both sides of the weld. After that I would use either corroles (from Eastwood) or POR-15 and paint the whole underneath with it, that could reach any way. Then you will want to paint the insides of the support rails with the same product. Next, spot weld the support rails in place and then I would seam seal them as well. Now would also be a good time to look at your frame rails while you already have the underneath torn apart.

Good luck,
steve

if you have any questions feel free to email at junkcollector@webtv.net

Old 03-30-2001, 10:30 AM

3m also makes a good seam sealer that's available at most parts stores that carry paint.
one thing you may consider doing is removing the gas tank as it hangs directly under the floor that you're going to cut out / weld in. if there are any leaks the process may get exciting. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill