67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 03-07-2002, 01:42 AM
Senior Chief

It appears that no one has discussed non T/A spoilers on Firebirds in this topic area or the body shop. I read in a couple of places the use of the Camaro type spoilers in either/both locations was a Pontiac dealer installed option. I have seen them on Firebirds with mixed emotions. Does anyone know if the dealers really offered it & how correct their use is if it was true.

Old 03-07-2002, 01:42 AM
Senior Chief

It appears that no one has discussed non T/A spoilers on Firebirds in this topic area or the body shop. I read in a couple of places the use of the Camaro type spoilers in either/both locations was a Pontiac dealer installed option. I have seen them on Firebirds with mixed emotions. Does anyone know if the dealers really offered it & how correct their use is if it was true.

Old 03-07-2002, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wally, good question. If they were installed, I have found no documentation to support this so far. I have found many strange things offered on the 69 bird such as hood pins listed in the accessory booklet and the installation TA /formula wheel for the 69 that never was, but have never found a dealer document for the ducktail spoiler. I have heard that dealers did install them probably just to close a sale. Anyone else??

Old 03-07-2002, 11:24 PM

That's an interesting topic. I've seen plenty of '69 Birds with Camaro spoilers, but in most cases, I believe that they were put on by the owners. It's possible that some dealer somerwhere bolted one or more on, but I've never seen documentation.
Steve, you bring up another good topic. Did Pontiac ever make a production car with the Formula I steering wheel. I've only seen it in the one T/A print ad where they actually say it's a feature of the T/A and I also have a book "The Fabulous Firebird" that has a picture of it. I was thinking of making a replica of it for my T/A because the wood wheel is tto hard. How did anybody drive cars long distance with these hard plastic wheels anyway?

Old 03-07-2002, 11:30 PM

In the 1969 dealer accessory booklet there is a listing for part number 988708 AIRFOIL, DECK LID
for the Firebird. Not sure if it is the TA style or the Camaro style.

-Rick

Old 03-08-2002, 02:06 AM
Senior Chief

I'm glad this is of interest to a few members. The wheel was news to me! Nice work on the p/n of the "Air Foil" Rick - new homework for us to identify which type it is! I like the look of the "Ducktail" on coupes, I'm not sure about it on rag tops though - any thoughts on the Front spoiler?

Old 03-08-2002, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the 69 Firebird/TA assy manual, there is an additional addendum added to the manual that shows the placement of the formula steering wheel and I believe it is dated June 69. Strange since most model years end in July so a very late addition anyway. I still have never seen one on a 69 from the factory.

Old 03-09-2002, 02:27 PM

Wally, i personally like the 69 TA front and rear spoilers in the 69. I've 69 Birds with the
Camaro front spoiler and didn't care for it. Never saw the duck tail rear spoiler on a 69 Bird though. Just my 2 cents...
Rick

Old 03-09-2002, 03:50 PM

Steve, I've seen 2 T/A's with the formula wheel, the one I own and another local car. Both were built after 9/30/69.

Old 03-11-2002, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

C-S, that's a first. See ...even if you've seen it all, there is always something maybe you don't know. So your TA was built in September '69. That was a real late production car. What was the latest TA built and do you know what sequence # yours was off the line?

Old 03-12-2002, 08:37 PM
Senior Chief

Duck tail spoiler was a dealer installed option on 1969 Firebirds. As mentioned earlier, the part number is 988708. Sources: 1969 Pontiac Accessorizor Booklet (dated Jan 1969, but not listed in the same booklet dated Sept 1968). 1970 Pontiac Master Parts Catalog, Sec A Dealer Installed Accessories. 1971 Pontiac Dealer Price List. This might have been a late addition as it is not mentioned in the 1969 Pontiac Accessories brochure that were given out by the dealers.

The part numbers for the 1969 T/A spoiler are
546530 Air Foil
9794877 Extension (lid to air foil)
9794712 Pad (air foil to qtr panel)
Source: 1970 Pontiac Master Parts Catalog, section 12.181

Old 03-13-2002, 10:40 PM

Steve, My TA was shipped 10/14/69 and is # 551, I am trying to get the list that has them all, but so far no go.