Old 08-29-2001, 11:42 PM

What's the best way to remove the sleeves from the timing cover? I've gotten far enough that it looks like the timing cover needs to come off so I don't ruin it. I have the sleeves, but I'm waiting for gaskets before I pull the cover.

Old 08-29-2001, 11:42 PM

What's the best way to remove the sleeves from the timing cover? I've gotten far enough that it looks like the timing cover needs to come off so I don't ruin it. I have the sleeves, but I'm waiting for gaskets before I pull the cover.

Old 08-30-2001, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There should be no need to pull the timing cover to remove the sleeves. Once the water pump and backing plate is off, the sleeves should be able to be simply pulled out from the timing cover. If they are badly corroded in place some persuasion may be in order.

Old 09-06-2001, 12:42 PM

What would you use to pull the sleeves out? Vise Grips maybe? They've been in there since 1970, so I'm sure some persuasion is in order. Persuasion of the hammer and chisel type (especially around aluminum) is where I tend to wreck things.

Old 09-08-2001, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill,
Sometimes they don't come out- electrolysis does a real number on the aluminum. I had one cover that I had to beat with a small sledge to remove from the block.
If they won't come out with a large pair of Channel locks, they probably won't come out.

------------------
John