Old 01-28-2001, 02:05 PM

I have a 66 tempest custom convertible, that i'm in the process of restoring. I have not located a source for the seat cover for the split bench seat.... although I have seen ads in some of the catalogs for the foam.

Does anyone know of a source for the seatcover?

I have a gut feeling that this split bench seat was used in other A bodies.... is it possible that some of the aftermarket catalogs specializing in Chevy Malibu/Nova, or Buick A bodies might have what I'm looking for?

Interior color is light blue.

Thanks - Mike

Old 01-28-2001, 02:05 PM

I have a 66 tempest custom convertible, that i'm in the process of restoring. I have not located a source for the seat cover for the split bench seat.... although I have seen ads in some of the catalogs for the foam.

Does anyone know of a source for the seatcover?

I have a gut feeling that this split bench seat was used in other A bodies.... is it possible that some of the aftermarket catalogs specializing in Chevy Malibu/Nova, or Buick A bodies might have what I'm looking for?

Interior color is light blue.

Thanks - Mike

Old 01-28-2001, 09:58 PM
Senior Chief

I don't believe that anyone is making seat covers for the front bench seats.

You probably have two options:
1) Buy the bench seat rears that are available and have a trim shop make a set for your bench seat using the vinyl pattern pieces on the rear seats. The pattern may not match your original exactly.

2) I think that the Tempest used some different colors and shades than the GTO / LeMans. So, your Tempest light blue is probably going to be different than the GTO light blue rear seat kits available on the market.

The Chevelle and others will not have the same interior pattern or colors as the Tempest.

Anybody else got other options for this gentleman?

------------------
Bob Kazian
Greer, SC
bobgoat67@aol.com

Old 01-31-2001, 10:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

Mike,my Wife has a 66 Tempest Conv. with the split bench seat,and the light blue interior also.I gave up on finding the covers a long time ago after searching everywhere.The problem is that the Tempest has a different pattern on their seats and it is not being reproduced.One option would be to order the GTO/LeMans interior and order a extra back seat cover like Bob mentioned and have a Upholstery Shop fit it to the front bench seat.The only problem would be having a GTO interior.But it would be a lot cheaper!I'm going to convert my Wifes Tempest over to bucket seats and put the '66 GTO interior in it.I also have a '66 Tempest Conv.I'm restoring that will have a '67 GTO white interior,and bucket seats.Check out my profile and Web Page for pic.'s!

Old 02-01-2001, 11:29 AM

Mike,

I feel your pain.....

I am faced with the same problem with my '67 Tempest Custom post coupe. There are no aftermarket seat covers for the front split-bench seat or the rear seat in the distinctive pattern used on the Tempest line. Madrid pattern seat material is available in bulk; a good interior resto shop should be able to sew up a set of covers that will come close to the original design. Another problem area is the lack of replacement door panels for the Tempest; all panels have either the LeMans pattern or the GTO pattern. One path to follow: buy two rear set kits and have a front seat cover fabed out of the rear; buy LeMans interior panels so all the patterns match (all the colors will match too); live with the fact it is not "original" in appearance (only another Poncho-file would know). Wait for the day someone figures there's enough moola to made tooling up to make bench seat interior kits.

It's nice to see someone actually RESTORING a Tempest rather than cutting it up to feed the GTO/LeMans market. Good luck with it.

Mike