67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-09-2001, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello friends. I'm wanting to change my breaks on my 68 Firebird from power drum to disc. I was told I needed parts from 68-74 F body. Or, from a 68-74 Nova. My question is, are there any other cars thta will convert over to my Firebird ??

Also, (and this is a must) I want to swap my steering box to a faster ratio. What cars and box would I need to bolt into my Firebird ? Thank you all, for any information you may have. I've learned alot from asking questions here. And the one thing I learned was to not worry about making a mistake. I just go back and work it out until it's right. ONce that has failed I pay big money to some person who does know. Knows how to "keep trying" until they get it right. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]~

Mike

------------------
"Michael"
It's more than just a name. It's a way of life

Old 04-09-2001, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello friends. I'm wanting to change my breaks on my 68 Firebird from power drum to disc. I was told I needed parts from 68-74 F body. Or, from a 68-74 Nova. My question is, are there any other cars thta will convert over to my Firebird ??

Also, (and this is a must) I want to swap my steering box to a faster ratio. What cars and box would I need to bolt into my Firebird ? Thank you all, for any information you may have. I've learned alot from asking questions here. And the one thing I learned was to not worry about making a mistake. I just go back and work it out until it's right. ONce that has failed I pay big money to some person who does know. Knows how to "keep trying" until they get it right. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]~

Mike

------------------
"Michael"

Old 04-09-2001, 12:05 AM
Suspended

Moving to "67-69 Firebird and Trans Am TECH"....

Old 04-09-2001, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can also use 67-72 A body disc brakes on the early Firebirds all you have to do is unbolt the steering arms from drum brakes and bolt them to the disc brake spindles

Old 04-09-2001, 10:07 AM
Senior Chief

Doesn't the 69-74 Nova also fit as well? I went through this with my 69 Bird. At the end, I decided to buy a new complete upgrade from Master Power Brakes. This was 7 years ago. I think I paid $798.00. I'm sure it's up to or over $1,000 now. The only good part about buying the conversion was that everything was brand new. I even got a set of brand new Carbon metallic pads and Bendix brand shoes for the back.

------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans. --John Lennon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
www.69BirdOfFire.com

[This message has been edited by MitchGM (edited 04-09-2001).]

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

"More tears are shed from answered prayers, than unanswered prayers"
Old 04-17-2001, 12:10 AM

O.K. fellas . . . I could use a little clarification on this subject as I'm in the same boat as Mike on this deal on a 68 Bird. I have already mounted my disc brake set-up that came from an A body donor. Ken mentioned a critical point, you MUST use your drum brake steering arms if you go this route. I thought I was going crazy because the arms that came with my disc brake set-up would not allow the outer tie rod ends/arm/spindle to be assembled properly. Then just for kicks I tried my old drum arms and everything came together perfectly.

Now for my questions which I'm sure will benifit Mike:

> Will I have to weld brackets to my sub frame that will support my new brake hoses?

> I am told that I will have to add a front/rear brake proportioning valve, is this true?

Old 04-17-2001, 03:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

YEAH, WHAT HE SAID !!! Same question goes for me too Lololo

------------------
"Michael"

Old 04-17-2001, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Disc Brake hose brackets...Rick's 1st Generation Camaro sells the 3 brackets needed to mount the 69 style brake hoses if you want to duplicate a '69 disc set-up to the T. They also sell the '67-68 4 piston brake style hose brackets for those going back with 4 piston brakes, but who have no hose brackets. Do not think Performance Years sell these brackets otherwise they would get the nod [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Proportioning valves & lines...Major nightmare to unravel here in print w/o detailed pics. Needless to say, it all boils down to how much you want to spend & how clean a job you want!

1st off the original resto look. Problem.. original 67-69 F-body metering valves are tough to find, but can be rebuilt. These valves are out there but are not cheap, rebuilt. Will also need the repro line set-up for a '69 F-body, if you are going to go '69 disc & the repro disc hose brackets & 69 F-body disc hoses.

IF you don't want to go this route, James at Inline Tube sells a conversion line set-up which utilizes a '71+ style (integral) proportioning valve & a little stamped steel bracket, which positions the proportioning valve inline under the mastercylinder. This looks real clean when installed. All the lines to make this work are there, including a line going back to the rear brake hose. I believe Inline Tubes conversion kit allows you to use the original drum brake hose brackets when touched up with a Dremel tool & you have to use the 69-71 A-body disc brake hoses as well.

Hope this was of some help, I routinely put these complete disc brake swap kits together using a mix of select used & new parts.

[This message has been edited by 'ol Pinion head (edited 04-17-2001).]

Old 04-21-2001, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the info! I've printed and filed your info. My 68 project is temporarily on hold as I'm trying to get my 75 T/A ready for O.C. 2001.

Old 04-22-2001, 12:43 PM
Senior Chief

I know they might be pricey to some of you guys, but I just wanted to show them. www.mpbrakes.com I bought the whole conversion kit, so I didn't run into any problems. Master Power sells the proportioning valve. I think they start at $99. For me is was piece of mind to get the correct valve because I didn't want to hassle with the brakes, especially when we NEED them. I can report that their proportioning valve works great. No lockups. No rear or front brakes applying before the other. It worked out well for me.

[This message has been edited by MitchGM (edited 04-22-2001).]

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

"More tears are shed from answered prayers, than unanswered prayers"