67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-21-2002, 08:10 AM

I recently purchased a 67 FB that I think may be an orginal RAM AIR I car. The 400 hood scoops are open but still have louvers. I've never seen a set like these before. Any ideal what are they are and what they are worth? VIN 223377U143295

Old 08-21-2002, 08:10 AM

I recently purchased a 67 FB that I think may be an orginal RAM AIR I car. The 400 hood scoops are open but still have louvers. I've never seen a set like these before. Any ideal what are they are and what they are worth? VIN 223377U143295

Old 08-21-2002, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by henshawjcjr:
I recently purchased a 67 FB that I think may be an orginal RAM AIR I car..VIN 223377U143295
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The first '67 RAI Firebird was built during the 4th week of June 1967. The last was built during the 4th week of July 1967. That puts the VIN range between 155XXX -and- 171XXX.

There were (65) total built over this one month period. Averages out to around (13) per week.

Your 'open hood scoops' are likely the result of someone wanting to have 'Ram Air'. Even though it's true the original factory Ram Air cars had std. die-cast scoops that were cut open by the dealership, I'm sure many owners did this over the years without actually adding the Ram Air Hood Baffle, Carb Shroud & Seals. Actually, to mill from behind and leave the louvers in the scoops looks cool and helps keep some larger debris out of the carb.

So, unless you have dealer documentation that shows the Ram Air parts were added after delivery (does your hood have the baffle ?), sounds like someone simply opened the scoops.

An original '67 Ram Air Firebird is a rare car.
There are probably less than (10) known to exist
with only a handful (or less) even in show condition with original drivetrain. Value of such a car in #1-#2 condition would be anywhere from $35k to as much as $100k (or more).

Eph. 4:32
Semper Fi
http://members.aol.com:/ramair68/gen1home.html
Old 08-21-2002, 11:33 AM

I bought this car as a parts car.
The hood scoops look different than any I have ever seen. The louvers are thicker than those of a close scooped that would have been milled. The car has a clutch assembly and a factory posi with dual traction control bars. It's in pretty bad shape but if it's a Ram Air car it's fixable. How else can I tell?

Old 08-21-2002, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

$35 for PHS docs will tell.

If it has the original hood:
Part of the under hood bracing may be cut away?
Do the holes for the underhood pan look like they had screws at one time?

Old 08-21-2002, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fiedlerh:
$35 for PHS docs will tell.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't waste your $35. Again, there has been research done into the Billing History Files.
ALL '67 RA Firebirds were built during 06D-07D.
Your VIN is a good 12,000 V-8s BEFORE the first
RA Firebird was built. Of course, if you really want to send Jim Mattison $35, I'm sure he'll accept it.

Eph. 4:32
Semper Fi
http://members.aol.com:/ramair68/gen1home.html
Old 08-23-2002, 01:18 PM

Thanks, For the info. I found the build sheet under the seat. Your are right it's just a 400/4 speed car with cleverly done hood scoops.