67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 07-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Picking up a 67 firebird this weekend.it is a 326 2 barrel 4 speed.was an a/c car.it will need
total restoration.anyone know what kind of tranny it is.also the guy i am buying it from says it has some kind of single traction bar???

[ July 18, 2002, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: bigunde ]

Old 07-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Picking up a 67 firebird this weekend.it is a 326 2 barrel 4 speed.was an a/c car.it will need
total restoration.anyone know what kind of tranny it is.also the guy i am buying it from says it has some kind of single traction bar???

[ July 18, 2002, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: bigunde ]

Old 07-21-2002, 12:03 AM
Senior Chief

Bigunde, Glad to hear you getting a bird. The original tranny should be a Muncie. (V8) I am pretty sure it will be a wide ratio. Your car probably has some tall gears in it, due to the A/C and one traction bar. The traction bars were installed on the 67's to reduce the axle wrap up.
They were not installed on all engine/tranny combos though. Some combos got two bars, some got none. (My Sprint6/4spd has two) Good luck with your project!

Old 07-21-2002, 08:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the great info.Now the bad news.I go over to get it yesterday and look closer and the
cowl tag AND the vin tag are both gone.And it has
a 3 speed instead of a 4 speed.The motor is a WC
code engine(326/350)with number 16 heads(screw in
stud type)and a 2 barrel.It has hedders so i guess someone redid the engine and put those heads on.Anyways the vin thing scared me off so no deal.Thanks again...............

Old 07-22-2002, 11:07 AM

bigunde, How much was he asking for it? I'm looking for a base to build a race car on, a car with no Vin would work for me. Thanks