67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-28-2002, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My question is on the horn relay, specifically the orange thick wire comes out of the inside dash wiring harness out through the dash panel and up to the horn relay. On my 69 Fbird with manual brakes, the orange wire comes out trough a hole adjacent to the master cylinder. On my 69 TA with power brakes, the hole is not existant. Where does this wire route out from inside to the horn relay on power assisted brakes? The lower 3/4 inch hole where the plastic plug goes is not the answer as the lead is too short and does not fit through that hole. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance, Steve

Old 01-28-2002, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My question is on the horn relay, specifically the orange thick wire comes out of the inside dash wiring harness out through the dash panel and up to the horn relay. On my 69 Fbird with manual brakes, the orange wire comes out trough a hole adjacent to the master cylinder. On my 69 TA with power brakes, the hole is not existant. Where does this wire route out from inside to the horn relay on power assisted brakes? The lower 3/4 inch hole where the plastic plug goes is not the answer as the lead is too short and does not fit through that hole. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance, Steve

Old 01-29-2002, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You will find an excellent wiring drawing for your car at http://home.cyberia.com/~jprogers/wiringmenu.htm

Old 01-29-2002, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the diagram but my question is basically one of dash routing for the orange horn relay lead. Also, that document is a good one but the color code for the horn relay/(5 key buzzer) is wrong, no orange lead and power is derived from the black/red lead (not labled). Thanks for the response though!

Old 01-31-2002, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a page in the assembly manual that referances this "Orange lead" routing through the firewall. It shows a 1 inch hole drilled through the firewall adjacent to the power booster hole and several inches up from the speed control hole/plug. On my TA, this hole was never drilled as the dimple is in place for drilling and by the abrasions I found on this lead, it looks like they routed this out through the engine/passenger comparment wiring harness bulkhead. I think I will run it this way rather than correct the factory defect. It is hard to fake a hole that did not get cut!!

Old 02-17-2002, 05:31 PM

I thought the orange wire was a power accessory wire for Power windows and/or power convertible top.

Old 02-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Senior Chief

Hi Steve,
My 69 has power brakes, but I can't really get to it for a couple months when it's warmer (over 50 degrees)& I unwrap her. If you can wait, I'll let you know what I find.

Old 02-19-2002, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I checked my friends all original 69 TA and guess what... the hole was never cut in the firewall and it was still in the inside of the car under dash. His horn relay does not work either. It never stops buzzing so he disconected the othe rblack/pink lead from the relay. In the 69 maintenance manual, this wire is labled as "B"on the schemo and energizes the horn relay. Turns out that oin the 69 TA, this may be a wiring defect from the assy line. I found the page in the assy manual that shows step by step on where to drill the hole and run this orange lead through the firewall to the horn relay so as stated, it must be an assy defect on the 69 TA. I'll check out other TA's to see how many are correct.

Old 02-20-2002, 12:18 AM

Steve, I'll check my T/A this weekend, I do seem to recall a orange wire hanging under the dash and my horn don't work either.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:05 PM

Steve,
I will check my '69 T/A as well. The first time I owned this car the horn worked. But now after buying the car back 11 years (and supposedly 1 frame off resto) later the horn does not work. Been trying to track it down for months.

02/21/2002
Checked my T/A and found the approximately 1" hole, just to the right of the booster, drilled, factory rubber grommet in place, and wire coming through.

Chuck

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: chas-3 ]</p>

Old 02-22-2002, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chaz, so the orange lead is run through the firewall on your TA. It plugs into the center tap in the horn relay with a black/pink stripe wire piggy backing of the orange lead as my 69 conv. FB is wired and horn and buzzer works correctly. So some TA's were never wired up it seems. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-09-2002, 03:55 PM

Steve, mine runs from the harness, and the firewall has no hole.

Old 03-11-2002, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

C-S, where does it run out through the firewall to the horn relay if it does? Thanks, -S

Old 03-13-2002, 10:33 PM

Steve, I did not take all the tape off but I would assume it comes from the alternator as it comes from the front of the engine.