Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-08-2002, 10:37 PM
Senior Chief

Can a bad starter ground out your battery cables? I went to hook up my positive wire on my battery but it keeps grounding out. i have a 69 cat w/ a 400 cid eng. my wires to my starter are hooked up right along with the ones to the alternator and so forth, but for some reason it sparks everytime and i can't figure it out. something keeps telling me that power from my battery is not getting through my starter wires. can anyone help me out? My igniton switch is off, purple wire to small terminal on starter red one with battery cable on larger terminal. battery ground hooked up.

Old 06-08-2002, 10:37 PM
Senior Chief

Can a bad starter ground out your battery cables? I went to hook up my positive wire on my battery but it keeps grounding out. i have a 69 cat w/ a 400 cid eng. my wires to my starter are hooked up right along with the ones to the alternator and so forth, but for some reason it sparks everytime and i can't figure it out. something keeps telling me that power from my battery is not getting through my starter wires. can anyone help me out? My igniton switch is off, purple wire to small terminal on starter red one with battery cable on larger terminal. battery ground hooked up.

Old 06-08-2002, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not sure that i understand what you are saying but disconnect your ground, now connect the positive to the battery and connect the ground last.

Old 06-09-2002, 01:15 AM

have you had the starter off or pulled on the pos cable? i'd check to be sure the cable isn't grounded out on the block or exhaust manifold. if it's not you have a draw on the battery from somewhere else, what hve you done lately ? look there first. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like Mike said double check that the cable did not slip on the starter and is touching the manifold. Take the starter off the car and take it to an auto parts store for a free test. It could be drawing way too many amps if cables are getting hot when you try to start it.Good clean NEW BIG cables will help a lot with your starting. Get the battery tested while you are going. A bad battery will knock out your starter

Old 06-09-2002, 09:47 AM

Oh yea! I had a starter on a 85 Trans AM go bad like that. I went to jump start thinking I had a dead battery and as soon as I made contact with the "dead" battery I thought I had fired up an Arc Welder! Turns out the starter was shorted internally. Gotta love cheap Advance Auto crap!

Old 06-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Senior Chief

I have had the starter off and did clean it, i had everything hooked up and even checked the lights but left the positive cable off so i wouldn't drain the battery. since then i did hook up the alternator. i tried to do what robert williams said to do in the above post by hooking the battery ground cable last but it doesn't work. as soon as i hit the cable to metal it arcs like a welder. i know the wires to the starter are on right. i did leave the positive on for a moment to see what it did and my battery wire to the alternator did start to smoke so something is wrong i just don't know what. i think its the starter maybe? anyone have an idea?

thanks

Old 06-09-2002, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do what txbobcat said and take it from there.

Tim C

Old 06-09-2002, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure that only the purple wire is connected to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. make sure that the Bendix drive is not stuck out or that the solenoid mechanism is not jammed out in the engaged position.

When the solenoid pulls in, a large copper disk in the back of the solenoid assy makes the battery connecttion to the starter. Therefore, no battery connection exists when the solenoid is in its released position and there will be no arcing.

Perhaps the internals of the solenoid have a problem or you are hooking up the battery to the wrong terminal. If a battery wire is connected to the solenoid terminal, the solenoid will immediately pull in when you connect the battery cable and you will see arcing.

Regards, George

Old 06-10-2002, 11:32 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the help guys. stupid me in my haste hooked up the battery wire to the wrong terminal on the alternator. switched them works fine.