Old 02-20-2002, 03:18 PM

I am using a 1965 coupe frame for my conv. frame.I have a break and sheer to make the side rails, I would like some photos and demintions to double check my work.Email me back at michaelgto@msn.com thank you

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: Michael Tait ]</p>

Old 02-20-2002, 03:18 PM

I am using a 1965 coupe frame for my conv. frame.I have a break and sheer to make the side rails, I would like some photos and demintions to double check my work.Email me back at michaelgto@msn.com thank you

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: Michael Tait ]</p>

Old 02-24-2002, 12:02 PM
Boost Engineer

I am confused. You have a convertible car. What happened to the original frame under it. Why not
make patterns off this frame and create them with
your shear and brake and weld them in? I have
thought many times about the possibility to help
the convertible guys by copying a convertible
frame and lazer cutting the pieces and letting the people weld them it. Just never got around to
it. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:41 PM

I have a 65 hdtp frame on the way from AZ to use on my 65 convert. Not sure if convert frame repairable or not, but AZ/CA hdtp frame only $50 and luckily found guy moving shop to AZ that coming back with empty trailer to bring it here for me. Is there any online or other info on converting the hdtop frame to convert frame. Only thing I know so far is that they are same except more heavily braced along rocker sections and know of another nearby GTO that did this...Is it possible braces are sometimes OK on convert frame and can be cut/blasted/welded to hdtop frame (I only noticed some holes in bottom of frame behind front wheels, then noticed hdtop frame available...). As name indicates, this is my only Pontiac and I know little about them..

Old 11-15-2002, 01:52 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought the '65 hardtop coupe and convertible frame were the same, and the post car frame was the one without the extra reinforcements.

Old 11-15-2002, 04:48 PM
Boost Engineer

The convertible frame naturally goes under convertibles but was also called the Heavy Duty frame and could be installed under a coupe or hardtop car as an option from the factory.

I have seen several cars built this way. Mostly for drag racing by smart racers. (Light body/
strong frame).

You CAN NOT put a stock hardtop frame under a convertible unless you are adding a full roll cage as it will not be strong enough. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:31 PM

my 64 tempest shop manual says "the convertible frame is of heavier metal thickness and has a boxed section front and center side rail with additional inner side bar stiffener (boxed section) beginning at the rear end of the rear wheel-house (number six body bolt) and extending rearward to the rear impact bar attaching bolts"
i have a hardtop 64 gto that i am putting a 64 tempest convertible frame that i also have under it.obvious differences are the "boxed rails" that span the rocker sections of the frame. the transmission crossmember is shorter in width.the rear section of the frame is "boxed" an extra twelve inches approximately.i have not measured the thickness. hope this helps

Old 11-16-2002, 02:12 AM

The convertible frame is a different frame. The sides on the convertible are fully enclosed through the center and only open atfer the rear axle. The hardtop and coupe have a C channel through the center of the car. Page 16 and 17 of the restoration guide have good diagrams of both frames. I can also send picture if you are still interested.

BTW: If you plan on welding on the frame, take the measurements shown in the restoration guide before and after you do the welding. I found out the hard way how easy they are to distort.