Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-10-2005, 11:43 AM

Default stroker crank/roller cam options

I am a mechanic at a Pontiac dealership, but I have never really looked into performance parts before. I am starting to build my 70 455 for my 75ta (It will be a street/strip car). The block is currently being machined 30 over. What is the best bang-for-the-buck stroker crank (kit?) and roller cam (kit) that will make great power, but not hurt my wallet too bad. If my budget gets tight I might just use the old crank and get a normal performance cam (any advise on a good cam, I heard comp cams has some good ones.) Any suggestions on lift/duration? I would like to see at least 500-600hp on the motor. thanks

Old 09-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your current crank is good, I'd use it. Invest in forged pistons and rods. Next I'd think about what cylinder heads you're going to use. Do you want it to remain pump gas friendly? The HP level you desire can be achieved without going to a roller cam. A roller cam and the associated hardware that goes with it is more expensive than the typical flat tappet stuff.

Old 09-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went through this about 2 years ago when spec'ing out the combo for my street/strip car. Rather than going the higher dollar roller route, I opted for a good flat tappet(solid) and applied the extra money towards a set of good e heads. Lots of guys running their street/strip cars in the 10's with flat tappet cams. I hope to be included in that group next year. Give Dude, Spotts, KRE, etc. a call with your combo and I'm sure they can help you with a cam selection

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 09-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Senior Chief

Just what Brian said. Use your stock crank, if you can. Custom lightweight pistons, any of the aftermarket rods will be fine. A longer rod, 6.7 or 6.8, will save you some piston weight, but Pontiacs don't need longer rods. Spend the rest of your money on heads. If you don't care about an original look go with the K or E-heads. A flat tappet will do just fine, and will save you money on the cam it self, lifters and springs. Just about any intake/carb combo will work well with this engine. I like the RPM and Q-jet myself. This should put you deep into the 11's.