Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-25-2005, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Trans help

Hey Guys, I am looking for a trans shop in the Washington DC area. I want to get a o/d trans for my 69 GTO. I know a guy that has a trans shop, he races a 96 pro stock (I think) Z/28, but when I went to him he did not seem to know a lot about the change over. He was told me a chevy trans plus including install would be around $750 or so.........sounded to good for me I think that he was going to install a random trans that he had laying around the shop, he could not tell what year the trans would be and he asked for info that I could pull from posts that I have read, ard any article from Pontiac mag that I may have read....red flags are all I saw! I want some one with experience. Any suggestions?

Old 09-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Senior Chief

You need a BOP transmission, and you need to stay away from Chevy guys! If you don't know what I mean about a BOP tranny, then you need to find a good friend to guide you. Sounds like you want to drop your highway RPM's while maintaining a good jump off the line. There are 700R4's that can do what you need, but a good builder is needed to make sure the parts can handle the Pontiac torque! I run a TH400 with an 1800 RPM stall that stalls around 2200 behind my 462. I get 14MPG with no tuning. If you are looking for somthing better, then let us know what you want to achieve! There are plenty of folks ready to help out a fellow Pontiac friend.

Old 09-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thats just what I am looking for, I want to be able to drive out of state and drop m rpm's. I do have a th400 that was rebuilt with shift kit that has maybe 400 miles on it in the yard. I was under the impression that the only way to drop my highway rpm's was to get an overdrive trans? Do you think that a different stall would help drop my rpm's?

Old 09-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Mook,
Wayne Rogers has a shop in Chantilly Va. that does most of the racers in Northern Virginia and mine as well...
Give me a call 703-405-4780. I will give you his info.....

Rodney

Old 09-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Hot Rod.......................