Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-09-2006, 03:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thats one reason why im leaning away from running spray. i have a carter mechanical fuel pump that im gonna put on that is supposed to flow 120 gph. id like to get a new complete wiring harness before i go hacking into it adding a electric fuel pump if needed. i want to get the tranny checked out, new rear end, and converter. id also like to get a set of cal tracks as well to help me hook up. but thats down the road. ill take care of the issues as i get to them. but for now what would you say id spend (ballpark figure) on getting my heads to flow well enough ? i know it will depend on labor costs but am i looking at another $500?,$1,000?...?

Old 02-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge_jury_executioner_69
thats one reason why im leaning away from running spray. i have a carter mechanical fuel pump that im gonna put on that is supposed to flow 120 gph. id like to get a new complete wiring harness before i go hacking into it adding a electric fuel pump if needed. i want to get the tranny checked out, new rear end, and converter. id also like to get a set of cal tracks as well to help me hook up. but thats down the road. ill take care of the issues as i get to them. but for now what would you say id spend (ballpark figure) on getting my heads to flow well enough ? i know it will depend on labor costs but am i looking at another $500?,$1,000?...?
Cal tracks? What kind of car is it? Cal Tracks are for leaf spring cars...

Can't help you on expense of head porting. I ported my own E's and my iron heads are unported...

Old 02-10-2006, 04:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i didnt knwo that cal tracks are for leaf spring cars. i hear you guys talk nothing but good stuff about them. i guess that plans out the window. what woudl you use to help hook it up ? ladder bars ? or are those pretty much the same as cal tracks ?

Old 02-10-2006, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What year/model of car are we talking about,if it's not a leaf spring car,I'll have to figure were talking about A-bodies here...

Here are a couple of traction threads I've taken part in,sure there are more if you do a more indepth search.

http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthr...light=traction

Like stated previously,the rest of the required hardware for the car as a whole will be needed as well to make this all work to the best of its abilities,so if something else was inadequate to begin with,dont get overly upset if it needs to be corrected to get the expected performance discussed here.

Traction will be key!

Old 02-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as head porting,the prices will vary quite a bit,but are in the range you mentioned for the most part depending on the vendor chosen,and the level of porting chosen,and any "optional" work like filling the crossover or such.

And you may end up getting off a little cheaper than some,esecially taking into consideration the fact that your heads are pretty fresh and have mostly all new stuff in them,so you may save a few $$$ from most "advertised" quotes for porting work.

Make a choice on who you'd prefer to do business with,then discuss the costs with them would be my advice.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a similar set up in my 3800lb, full exhaust street car. 428, 670 heads opened up for lower compression, home ported ( 250 cfm ). I choose a smaller solid,246/252@.050 because I wanted streetabality and was unsure if the heads could handle a bigger cam. Trans had trouble shifting into 3rd. Ran 12.19-12.31, I had to let up on the gas to make it shift.

If you use the 16's, you will need a good sized D shape dish in the piston to lower the compression. I could do that on the cnc mill.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thats why id rather ask you guys for advice on cams and such. you guys knwo what works and what wont. i dont know how much confidence i would have if i called up comp and asked them for advice. screaming cheif the car is a 69 GTO Judge ( i think its a clone ) thanks for the links by the way.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Call Jeff Kauffman, he can choose a cam and it will be cheaper than ordering through Summit.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

www.bulletcams.com can help also. I think screamingchief has really good knowledge and has given you great advice. He helped me with a similar choices. Ultradyne cams rock. I am almost done with porting my 6x 4 heads and installing a 280/288 solid U/D cam and Jim Hand special and slide a links. I ran 12.90's at 6000' with the 288/296 hyd U/D cam and barely touched heads. I am hoping for 12.00's straight up with the changes. Corrected would be 11.40's.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

what would you guys say would be too much cam for use on the street ?

Old 02-14-2006, 04:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
what would you guys say would be too much cam for use on the street ?
Anything much bigger than whats been discussed so far IMO,with a solid roller you could go a little bigger maybe,but then you would be best served with a slew of other companion hardware to go along with the roller,like better flowing aluminum heads (280 CFM and up),more compression,"good" single plane intake (victor),and bigger carb (dominator),more stall,more gear,thus making things much more involved,requiring more tuning and skill needed to get it to run right.

Like I said,you could go slightly smaller than what I recommended,and pretty much still hit most of the goals,just cant a whole bunch bigger either with the hardware you were saying you wanted to try and use here.

And IMO you have to learn to walk before you can run,dont try "jumping in the deep end" right off the bat here,a combo like that previously discussed here is a good learning tool for one working their way towards a progressively quicker/faster combo.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i dont want to get too greedy here. that seems like thats when something bad happens.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

that brings up another concern in my mind. im gonna use the #16's but thats gonna put my CR at 10-10.5:1. if i go with a dished piston i dont think ill get this kind of performance from it will i ? if it starts to detonate then im gonna have to pull timing out which means im gonna lose power as well. if i mix race gas thats gonna eat up the wallet. what do you guys recommend doing ? as you can tell im on a tight budget thats why its taking so long.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just use the dished pistons if you need to,the drop in compression ratio wont hurt a thing for this type of deal,this cam will work fine with a compression ratio down to say 9.5:1 or so,maybe even just a bit less,just try to keep at or above that if possible,but still under 10.0:1 to be safest.

The compression ratio wont make or break a build like this,but the head flow will to a much larger degree,dont skimp on the port work.

But really I've seen this cam run fine with pump gas in a 10.0:1 455,so I think that would be a reasonably safe max limit to shoot for when trying to keep it pump gas friendly.

Just pay attention to the details when assembling your short block and such,things like using a zero deck (or real close) set-up will go a ways toward helping it stay detonation free by promoting good quench in the chamber.

Also be sure to knock down any sharp edges in the chamber and on the piston tops and such,and use a headgasket with a diameter that's closer to the bore size,instead of one thats a bigger dia.

You could also "open up" the chambers just slightly to pick up a cc or two.

If I can think of more to watch for I'll post 'em later on,getting late,so I gotta go now...

Old 02-25-2006, 04:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i really appreciate the advice. you guys are the experts im just the one trying to learn as much as i can so maybe someday i can help someone.