Old 08-05-2005, 10:03 PM

Default 1970 lemans sport

Hello all Im new here, i just bought a 70 lemans sport 350 automatic. How difficult is it to change front clips to the gto , will it just bolt in or is there mod work.
Thanks in advance
Kevin

Old 08-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have one laying around?

Old 08-06-2005, 09:57 AM

The front end for a '70 GTO is unique and might be hard to find and expensive.
You will need:
'70 Endura front end & grills
2 GTO fenders w/side markers
Valance panel w/turn signals
'70 GTO radiator core support
'70 GTO bumper brackets
Bolts, nuts, brackets, clips, ect.

Best to find a parts car with all of this assembled. The '70 shop manual and GTO assembly manual will have diagrams as to where the stuff goes if you decide to do this.

Hope this helps, -Ken

Old 08-06-2005, 01:57 PM

ok If i go the other option anygood place to get 70 lemans bumpers front and rear and the front valance
Kev

Old 08-06-2005, 09:44 PM

Keep an eye on the parts for sale on this board. I have a '70 Tempest and I got a front valance with the lights from someone here. Lots of times people will part a car out. You could also keep your eye on EBAY for parts.

You might want to post an ad in the parts wanted section too.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm confused here. Does that car you just bought, not have ANY front end sheetmetal? Because unless that is the case, you already have everything on it that was on a 1970 LeMans. The rear bumpers are the same for everything, GTO, LeMans, Tempest, etc., from 1970-72, so unless you don't have one, there is no need to look for one.
As for the front end swap to a GTO- like said above, EVERYTHING except the inner fenders forward of the A-pillars is unique to the 1970 GTO. The parts are expensive, and hard to come by. But, it's a simple bolt-on if you have a complete front clip laying around...

Old 08-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to Goin' Topless

You'll have to change out the whole front clip except for the radiator. It's a bolt on deal. You can find decent LeMans bumpers or buy triple chromed ones from a reputable shop.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:16 AM

sorry to confuse i was just trying to figure my options. My lemans sport has complete front clip but the bumper is shot rusted thru, the right fender has a lot of bondo and the front valance was twisted beyond repair, the hood is ok and drivers side fender is good. The rear bumper is rusted thru also. Besides that the car is in ppretty good condition.
Kevin

Old 08-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the links on this site for the GTO or FB club that may be near you. Join either their web site or the club and they probably will be a great source. Good luck with the project.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kevin,
Hello, welcome to PY. Might post what part of the country you're in. There maybe someone with quality '70 LeMans parts that is fairly close & will chime in.
Some of the rest of us have quite a few '70 LeMans pieces, & even better, to a small degree, some of us are out running up & down the interstates w/ our cartrailers. Sometimes its easier to load up & drop off bumpers, fenders, doors along our travels, than it is to propperly pkg (crate) them & take them to shipping company.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:14 AM

Thanks im located in good ole New jersey.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

hey why change it. I have one and its funny how many people think its a gto anyway. If yours is a number matching car keep it that way once you throw things out it gone.Find out the value of your first.My lemans sport is worth within 300 dollars less of a gto.Then again mines a 400 with a 4 speed number matching lemans sport.None the less yours is worth about 12,000 if its all there.Think about it.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Keep it original!

Hey Nitro--do what you like best, but if it were me I'd restore it with the correct '70 LeMans front end. The '70 GTO is probably my favorite GTO overall, especially the front end, but the '70 LeMans chrome bumper front is a one year only deal too. Very unique and attractive IMO. I see way more '70 Goats at shows etc. than I do '70 LeMans/Tempests. Be different! Keep it the same! Since you don't have a '70 GTO donor car, and much of your existing car is useable, it will likely be far less expensive to repair or replace with LeMans fenders, bumpers etc.

I am on my second '71 chrome bumper car...my favorite of all.

Good luck and welcome to the PY boards...

Eric H.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric71T37
Hey Nitro--do what you like best, but if it were me I'd restore it with the correct '70 LeMans front end. The '70 GTO is probably my favorite GTO overall, especially the front end, but the '70 LeMans chrome bumper front is a one year only deal too. Very unique and attractive IMO. I see way more '70 Goats at shows etc. than I do '70 LeMans/Tempests. Be different! Keep it the same! Since you don't have a '70 GTO donor car, and much of your existing car is useable, it will likely be far less expensive to repair or replace with LeMans fenders, bumpers etc.

I am on my second '71 chrome bumper car...my favorite of all.

Good luck and welcome to the PY boards...

Eric H.
I agree with this post. I have a 71 Lemans Sport Convertible. I have had it for 2 years and I have yet to see another 71 Lemans Sport Convertible at shows or cruise ins.

If you put the GTO front end on, it will look good but true Pontiac people will be able to look at your VIN (among other things) and tell that it's still a Lemans.

I had 2 GTO's and I truly love GTO's but I also love my Lemans. When I take it out in the summer with the top down, I get as many looks and "thumbs up" as I did in my 2 GTO's.

Good luck with whatever you do!!

Greg
68 Firebird Verdoro Green
428, 6X-4 heads, Comp XE284 cam
Muncie 4 speed
3:73 rear
Old 03-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

FYI, a '70 GTO hood will bolt right in without any other changes. The hood, all by itself, will give a sportier look.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:35 AM

Default keep it a LeMans

Here's my 70 Tempest. I love the front chrome bumper. My son and I added the GTO hood and deck lid wing. It is the only 70 Tempest at the shows to date.http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showc...970/70_00146_3

Old 03-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadbay
Here's my 70 Tempest. I love the front chrome bumper. My son and I added the GTO hood and deck lid wing. It is the only 70 Tempest at the shows to date.http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showc...970/70_00146_3
Man, that is absolutely beautiful. Goes to show it doesn't have to be a GTO to induce coveting. Great job.