Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-25-2006, 04:57 PM

Default What to buy...where to look?

Hi all,

I have a few questions that I need settling before I go swipe the allmighty plastic. First, my car is a stock 67 pontiac lemans/326/2 speed (powerglide?)/8.2 rear (256 gears) that I drive daily. I have been collecting parts for a motor, ('68 YS code 400) that will be a mild street/strip application, and am nearly done - all I have left to do is spend $600 on machine work, and $350 to rebiuld the q-jet I have sitting on the shelf, and I'm good to go. Oh yeah, I still need some .010 FM main bearings...but I'll get those soon. I'll be running #15 heads, a MILD melling cam, and using 411NP pistons. I also have an edelbrock performer intake, and some summit headers, as well as a HEI distributer.

Last year I did the front end steering & suspension, disc brake conversion, and rear suspension, with help from this forum. I changed it all...down to the centerlink, and am glad for it. Thanks for the help - I feel much 'safer' on the road.

Now I am planning on buying a rear end, as my stocker has some play and it makes a "clunk" when I press/depress the gas. I thought it was u-joints, so I changed 'em. Next I changed the trans mount. Still clunkin' so to the 'shop' it went for diagnosis. Sure enough, my friendly mechanic (who I have known since high school) told me I need to replace/rebuild the rear to get rid of the clunk. This leads me to my question:

What cars have a rear end I can swap in without any mods? I have read in old posts any a-body rear will work, but the width is different in later cars. What would you look for? With the gas crunch on I am seriously thinking about selling off all the parts I have collected for the 400 and just rebuilding the 326. I want to drive the car a lot, not just sundays, though I have heard a mellow 400 when properly set up will yeild ok mileage. Right now I get 15/25mpg (town/hwy) if you can believe that...

Lastly, and I know I am asking a lot of questions, would you swap out the two speed for a turbo 350? Will my stock shifter (floor/console) work with a th350?

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 05-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you swap in a 700r4 or 200r4 instead of the th 350 and stuck with the 400 engine you might end up pretty close with the fuel mileage with the extra gear. Best I could guess anyway.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can buy a ready to run Ford 9" for nearly the cost of buying and rebuilding a 8.5 ten bolt. Stronger and gear swaps are easier.

TH350 is plentiful and cheap to build. 200-4R is the OD tranny to use, if you want OD. Both are a straightforward swap, 200-4R cost more to build and you'll need a D-shaft. Short shaft TH350 is direct replacement for the ST300. The Super Turbine 300 in your car now is a turd. Suprised you're getting mileage like you are with it. Conversion kits are available to turn 2 speed auto shifter into 3 speed. Or use aftermarket racing shifter or GTO His-Hers.

chip

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 05-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A ford 9 is overkill for your app. Just rebuild what you've got and save some money for your trans.