Old 07-12-2006, 06:31 PM

Question 66/67 Ididit/FlamingR tilt w/repro wood wheel

I was considering purchasing a restored tilt column for my car until I saw the prices on ebay. I also checked out the Ididit and FR columns. Found the 66/67 columns will only accept 69 on up steering wheels. I was wondering first, why will the 67 wheel not work? Second, has anyone tried to use a 67 repro sport wood steering wheel from PY or Ames w/ Ididit or FR. They say most aftermarket wheels work. It looks like all the sport wood wheels are the same (65-70) except for the horn button. My car is a retro mod, so originality is not of major importance, but I don't want to be using a wrong year steering wheel. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Senior Chief

PY sells restored columns for what I think are reasonable prices.

I was going to restore the column in my GTO but when I found out I could just buy one already done, including the cancel cam and a brand new turn signal switch, for only $309 via PY I placed my order. 4 weeks later UPS dropped off a column that looked like new. A rebuilt tilt column is $459 in the latest catalog.

I also have a repro '67 sport wood wheel from The Parts Place and it fit the rebuilt column perfectly and looks real nice.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:03 PM

Thank You Blue1967GTO, I did not realize PY offered restored columns. I immediately ordered one and was told I will have one within 4 to 6 weeks. The price has gone up again, but is still much more reasonable than what's on ebay. With a stock column, I'll have my deluxe steering wheel restored by Gary's. Thanks again!

Old 07-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Senior Chief

Happy I could be of assistance! I hope your project turns out as well as mine did

Old 07-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the column harness included?
Nassau, Gary's GTO Goodies?

Old 07-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugratman
Is the column harness included?
Yes, the rebuilt column from PY included all new wiring.

It was a simple remove and replace operation. The rebuilt column came with everything except the chrome turn signal lever, hazard switch knob, and the plastic trim sheath that goes around the collapsible part of the column underneath the dash.

I bought a new turn signal lever and hazard button and cleaned and re-used the plastic sheath off my old column. It looks just like new.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Column

I just received the column I ordered from PY, took about 6 weeks to get which I was told of in advance when I ordered it. It's a great looking rebuilt colum, as stated all parts except the turn lever and hazard button. I'll install it as soon as the outside air temps get below 100, garage doesn't have AC!!!