Old 07-30-2006, 10:01 PM

Default trunk resto

who makes the best trunk weatherstrip kit???? any suggestions on what to use for paint and how to restore the trunk, I was thinking of using a wire wheel, the floor is clean but it has surface rust from the rubber floor mat

Old 07-31-2006, 06:44 PM

Default trunck resto

i just finished my frame off resto of a 66 gto. the best weather strip out there is soffseal. it fits perfectly. as far as the trunk metal goes,i scratchpaded all of the metal just to rough it up then i sprayed eastwood rust inhibitor on. after it dried i put three coats of the original spatter paint on,
got it from our host,then put 3 coats of the clear sealer on,also from our host.the trunck came out just like the showroom.
good luck,hope this helps
fred
spendin money havin fun got er done
ps: check out my website fredsgto.com

Old 08-01-2006, 03:42 PM

Just FYI, I had the paint shop put new weather stripping on the truck after they painted the car, and now it leaks worse than the old one. I don't know why this happened. I used softseal.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Senior Chief

I used a replacement seal from OPGI and it works great.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Remove the rust prior to anything else, as much as you can. Oxysolve works well for those tight areas. Naval Jelly works well too...

I sprayed Por 15 on then applied Por 15 tie coat so the paint would bond, then used splatter paint and clear coat. Came out very nice....

I used softseal too.....

Brad