The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default gunz

im a little confusd, does an rp use less air than a hvlp? ive allways used a little more pressure than recomended and move a little faster. when i was painting my fathers truck i was experimenting and the base flowed pretty good thinned a little more than they said and a little more pressure. i looked for the sata jet 90 but didnt see it. has anyone used the gfg 670 plus?
who sells warwick?
thanks bryan

Old 08-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the Sata made in Taiwan?

Old 08-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

an RP will use less volume, but at a slightly higher pressure.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default gunz

pete what gun do you use? ken i just looked at a sata on ebay it said made in germany
thanks bryan

Old 08-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Harbor Fright has the guns on sale right now for $12.99. It's in the new flyer and the store shelfs are stocked up.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thing to consider is the brand of gun that your paint store has parts for. Ruin a gasket or drop a tip and you don't want to be mail ordering if you've taken that day off to spray.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys, make sure you use at least a 5/16" air hose to the gun, and watch out for too small of quick/disconnects (q/d's), as they do cut airflow! Also, length of line makes a difference as well.

Remember, you are not as worried about static airflow as you are dynamic, which is with the trigger pulled.

I sold spray guns for 2 companies, for 4 years...mostly aerospace/industrial, but some automotive.

I personally have never liked siphon feed. Most shops use HVLP and gravity feed, exclusively (auto body shops, that is), whereas industrial shops and 75% of the aerospace guys use pressure feed.

Also, SATA is definately the main player in most high-end body shops in this area, and there are many, many highend paint jobs here.

I hope this helps a bit...good luck.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default spray gun

i bought a used sata jet rp gravity feed. it looks in great shape 1.4 tip. im going to spray the jams and the bottom of the deck lid either tomorrow or sunday. (depending on how long i sit here) i cant wait to see how it sprays
bryan

Old 08-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what comes with the $12.99 Harbor Freight gun. It was bought yesterday. It has a 2 year warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0905.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	63310  

Old 08-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K
This is what comes with the $12.99 Harbor Freight gun. It was bought yesterday. It has a 2 year warranty.
Pretty amazing what you can get for, what, 3-4 gallons of gas?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:29 PM

Was thinking of picking up a couple of the HF guns for primer. I think they only come with a 1.5 tip. Is that big enough?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The HF gun tip is 1.5. Primer is what can really wreck a spray gun according to what they say on another site. I used the HF gun to spray primer, I reduce 2K urethane primer. Jared Zimmerman from Rad Rides, reduces the 2K primer and runs it through a HVLP gun.....There are lots of people on another site who have had good results using the HF gun to paint cars.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Suspended

the painter at the dealership uses the SATA guns.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

When it cools down, I will paint something with the HF gun. I'm not afraid to use it.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default spraying clear

ok, i painted the front fenders, the underside of the deck lid and the front nose piece on my 67 project, i sprayed it with the sata rp, although i have to say i didnt notice much rp. i sprayed sealer first then omni black and then omni clear. the gun was super for the sealer and the black. both laid down very smooth. then came the clear, i just cant seem to get this stuff to flow, i am used to shooting acrylic enamel and it seem like it was just too thick if i was shooting the enamel i would have thinned it a little more. the sata has a 1.4 tip, would a 1.5 or 1.6 be better? i thought about thinning the clear but the guy at the paint store said not to. it turned out ok im sure it will sand and buff but i would think it should spray a little smoother any suggestions?
thanks bryan

Old 09-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default clear

i used a slow hardner. it looked better than the last time i shot the clear with a fast hardner. the last time i shot the base and clear (which was the first time) i used the hf hvlp. it had the same result. so i figure either i need a bigger tip, diffrent clear or just more experience or all of the above! by the way the seals on the plastic cup on the hf gun were leaking so i went over there to get new ones, they didnt have any seal kits so they gave me a new gun! i then bought an aluminum cup cause the plastic one was a pain in the a$$ im going to shoot a few more pieces tomorrow maybe ill give it a try
bryan

Old 09-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have several guns I use. I use a Devilbiss Fineline sometimes for kicks. It does such a good job, for the money I had to get one ) I have a Walcom GEO that is an Italian gun and very high quality. I have had it for many years now..still sprays great. I recently bought a Devilbiss Plus which is a RP gun and I really like the fan it puts out. They are my full size topcoat guns.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb400ho
omni clear.
i thought about thinning the clear but the guy at the paint store said not to.
same here.
i sprayed clear for the first time and i used omni, and the guy said i didnt need to reduce it.
i sparayed and got tons of orange peel.
i went back and another person sold me the reducer for it, but i havent had a chance to test it yet.

luckily it was only the hood for my work van, not a whole car or something.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They might be doing something to the clears they sell now. I was told within 10 years, the paint will be going to water based paint. If I buy paint in town, the paint comes from CA. If I buy paint in Phoenix, it's comes from some place else.....I have never used Omni clear, they say on another site it does not have the UV protectors in it so it dies back after a year or so, I don't know if that is true or not.....I know someone who sold a shop and I was given 3 milk crates full of paint, all kinds of different brands. I am going to see if there are noticable differences between the brands.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i just went to get reducer this guy says ok to about 10% i give that a try. ken if you find a clear that flows good please do tell!
thanks bryan