Old 09-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead
... Maybe 4 doors are like colostomy bags. Not many people have 'em but they are better than nothing?

I don't think there were ever nicer looking 4 doors made than the '65-'66 Big Pontiacs. The non-post versions are hard to tell from a 2 door at a distance with the windows down. Now THAT is styling.

Heh heh heh.... That's good. Yes Bruce, you are indeed quite right. Gotta be a pillarless car. Pillared cars look like old taxi's. Terrible things.

Over here up till '65 that's all we got - 4 door pillared cars. Well there were some odd pillarless but usually they were a special import. Very rare (and expensive!!)

Well, I'm off tomorrow in my beige "arsehole" on a long road trip. I'm on holidays and we are taking the Grand Prix on a 3500 mile trip up into the far west of New South Wales to a town called Broken Hill and thereabouts. I've never been there before so I'm quite looking forward to it. VERY DESOLATE country in parts. If any of you saw the movie "Mad Max" it's where it was filmed. (I think the movie might have been called "The Road Warrior" when it was released in the USA. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Changed the plugs, leads, oil, filters etc etc and she is running faultlessly. But I'd like to talk with the guy who decided to put the A/C compressor over plug number 2. What a bummer to get it out. Old plug lead had welded itself onto the plug. I had to remove the compressor out of the way so I could get to it.

I have a mate and his wife coming in his 1979 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance. VERY nice car for a road trip. It's only got 28 thousand miles up from new too so this should blow some cobwebs out of it.

I'll post some pictures when we get back.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is another spin. If I was driving by your uncle's house and saw a 65 4dr Bonneville just sitting there waiting for rescue I would sure as hell stop and ask what he wants for it. Glass is easy to get. There are plenty of rusty old Chevy 4dr hardtops Id be glad to gut the glass out of.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck
Changed the plugs, leads, oil, filters etc etc and she is running faultlessly. But I'd like to talk with the guy who decided to put the A/C compressor over plug number 2. What a bummer to get it out. Old plug lead had welded itself onto the plug. I had to remove the compressor out of the way so I could get to it.

I envy you a trip like that. I hope it is a mechanically uneventful one.

We will come at that guy from both hemispheres. I have an old T handled spark plug wrench I cut the handles off of and a modified 3/8 w/ deep well I alternate between. Sometimes it seems like I can get it from above & others I have success from under through the splash shield. Better than the 305 Monza or a Boss 429 which I beleive on both you had to pull the engine forward or cut holes in the sheetmetal to change rear plugs on.

4 door & wagon uber alles!

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 09-11-2006, 03:48 PM

Great thread, I say save the big bodies! Pillarless windows are the best, most commentors on my 63 StarChief notice that first. If anyone is junking big bodies let me know I want an f-in fleet of those things!

Old 09-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroxII
Great thread, I say save the big bodies! Pillarless windows are the best, most commentors on my 63 StarChief notice that first. If anyone is junking big bodies let me know I want an f-in fleet of those things!

Amen brother....

Old 09-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonneville Joe
I strongly disagree.

They only made so many of them to begin with. How many are left and how many of the ones that survived are restorable? Convertibles used to be the hot cars to have, then the 2drs and now the wagons. What's left after that? 4drs..

Everywhere I drive my 4drs people make remarks about what beautiful cars they are and they are right. Those 4dr cars that were just stylish transportation years ago are now rolling art. Save everyone you can. There aren't that many left.
Stylish transportation - I'll second that Joe. Not only stylish, but comfortable as well. And they were particulaly quick for what they were. Not to mention they had all types of option combos depending on the tastes of the buyer.

I know saving them all is not sometimes realistic, but these old cars are like land - no more are being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonneville Joe
There are plenty of rusty old Chevy 4dr hardtops Id be glad to gut the glass out of.
Those old Chevy's are at least good for something

1964 Grand Prix
1966 Bonneville Brougham
1980 Trans Am - original owner
Old 09-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70
While the car sounds too good to junk, big 4-door Pontiacs are practically worthless. Will never be worth restoring.
restoring?? how about rodding/sledding it?
4 door big car haters crack me up

Old 09-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikediaz
I'd ride a boat before a goat anyday and i'm sure you can find someone who agrees with me
right here

mike, check out my new sig below

Old 10-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow. I had lost track of this thread and did not realize there were so many replies. Yeah, I like the 4-door cars too- guess thats why both of my old cars are 4drs. My father hates them though- he says they are tanks, but I would take my "tanks" anyday over his 69' Camaro that everyone seems to rave over. I like them too (the 2-door muscle cars), but I still have the soft spot for the 4drs and wagons.

Still have not heard anything about my uncles 65' Bonneville. I have not saw him in awhile. I hopefully can get down to his house soon to see what is going on with this "tank". Hopefully he will let me have it, or sell it to someone that will restore it.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its much easier to rail your girl in the back of a 65 Bonneville than the back of a 69 Camaro too....

Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want a car to keep a four door is fine but DONT buy one to fix and resell. It costs as much (or more) to restore a 4 door as a 2 door and you wont get your money back. This doesn't even take into consideration what it costs to have a car shipped half way across the country. If you can buy a nice one locally and want a great driver go for it but you just can't spend a lot of money on them.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamy45
right here

mike, check out my new sig below
Haha i see it and i love it. It's so real!

And 4-drs are going up in value every day so to buy one, enjoy it, and sell it in a few or more years would not be a bad investment. As for whether restoring is a bad investment, that depends on how much it costs you to get it and how much work needs to be done blah blah blah. Much like a 73 SD T/A isn't worth restoring if it's been crushed to a cube (unless the vin tag is intact J/K of course!)

Bah enjoy your cars everyone! And save that bonneville! =)

Old 10-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Senior Chief

Here's another one of those "do I part it out?" cars - a '66 Star Chief Executive which has been sitting for about 25 years and may have only 27,363 miles on it.

It's missing only the wheelcovers, right rear quarter trim molding, and the power steering box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	68042  

Old 10-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Senior Chief

Hey would that 65 happen to be a stick, that would make me jump

Old 10-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Morgan
Here's another one of those "do I part it out?" cars - a '66 Star Chief Executive which has been sitting for about 25 years and may have only 27,363 miles on it.

It's missing only the wheelcovers, right rear quarter trim molding, and the power steering box.

That car looks like its got a helluva good body on it.

Save it....

Old 10-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Morgan

Looks like a post car. If the bottom part of those doors would fit a wagon I'd say part it out.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 10-12-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead
Looks like a post car. If the bottom part of those doors would fit a wagon I'd say part it out.
you just want them for damage repair!

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To destroy a fixable 65 Fullsize is a travisty in itself. The design of the 65 Fullsize cars is what drew me in towards being a car guy in the first place. My stepfathers 65 Bonnie Convertible was a thing of beauty. I would sit in it while in the garage and just imaging cruising. I would love a 65 4 door hardtop, in the light green color, black intieror, black vinyl top with eight lugs and a nice 421. What a helluva family cruiser. There is one on ebay right now out in california that I would love to have. I may be biased but for a sixties car nothing screams elegance like a 65 fullsize 4 door hardtop, 2 door hardtop or convertible. Just my .02 on this topic. Remember, the whole line up won car of the year in 65 for a reason. I go back to my old smoke signals and read about the 65 line in thier articles and makes me salvate.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 11-12-2006, 09:05 AM

hmmmm
if ANYBODY know about a 66 bonnie 4dr in nice cond
please let me know
I will certinly SAVE it
regards stig
66 bonnies forever

Old 11-12-2006, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bullydawg

Buy it and make it into a convertable so you don't have to buy the glass.

88 Formula 350/ 700r4, WS6
Trick Flow 23* heads, Edelbrock TES, Accel Super Ram w/Accel Intake Manifold. BBK 52mm TB, Crane 2032 HR Compucam, Crane Gold 1.5 roller rockers. Crane Chrome-molly pushrods, Accel #24lb Injectors, TPIS Billet AFPR. LsRacing custom chip. 160 Stat. MSD-6A Ignition, MSD 8.5 Wires...Edge 2900 stall TC and Transgo shift kit,Nitto Drag Radials....Flowmaster muffler,Stewart Water Pump...