Old 09-12-2006, 10:33 AM

Default ground wire for the dash

is there a ground wire for the dash harness?

Old 09-12-2006, 01:36 PM

I replaced my '68 dash harness and there was no per say "ground wire" I believe the dash is grounded through the connection at the firewall the engine harness. however there are ground wires for other component within the dash harness such as the dome light / door open wire.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't recall there being one and I don't see one in the diagram in the service manual. Everything in the dash gets it's ground through the metal frame of the dash pad. There are a couple metal straps the go from the gauge pods to the metal frame.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

based on advice from this forum, I added a ground wire to each of the gage housings and attached them to the dash framework when I reinstalled my dash cluster. It will be grounded by installing it correctly, but another ground wire was recommended from several members here since the small nuts that hold in the cluster can loosen over time and degrade your ground.