Old 09-09-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Messy spraying Oil leak everywhere, valve cover or camshaft?

about a weak ago I noticed oil on the passanger side engine compartment. The oil is only present when driving it and it has been getting worse. oil seems to be spraying all over on the left side. I thought it might be coming from a bad valve cover seal so I checked it, it seemed the gasket had slipped so I installed a new gasket. I just drove it again today and the problem is still there. Only on the passenger side and oil everywhere. Is it my camshaft seal? If so why would it just be on the left side on not oil everywhere?? I also just noticed for the first time the dreaded puff of blue smoke on startup. Started to get really worried

Old 09-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Senior Chief

your car is prolly doin the same thing as my 70 gto... too much pressure in the crankcase causing oil to spit out of the dipstick tube.....

Old 09-09-2006, 08:12 PM

If that was the case wouldn't my dipstick handle be drenched in oil? My handle is oddly clean. Most of the oil seems to be on the forward right corner of the engine compartment. The oil is on the front of my head, on top and around the valve cover, in the valley under the thermostat, on the waterpump cover, on the right side of the air intake, under my aircleaner, under the hood in the center and to the right, all over the right inner fender wall, and some on the frame. yet my oil dipstick seems dry... go figure...

Last edited by Perthos; 09-09-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

valley pan gskt????????????

1 69 gto 4 speed
1 69 gto judge
1 75 ta
1 79 formula
1 80 formula
1 81 ta
1 89 formula
1 96 ta
1 66 mustang
1 84 mustang
1 89 25th anniv mustang convert
kaysersuzuki@yahoo.com
Old 09-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you checked your pcv valve to see that it is working properly? Pull it out and see if it rattles when you shake it. If not, replace it or clean it. I'm not sure if it will cause this problem if stopped up, but it will not help either. I guess you also have some kind of vent out of the passenger side valve cover?

If an engine is not adequately vented, it may cause oil to be pushed out somewhere.

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:44 PM

I had this issue when I reassembled my engine in my 68 GTO. (I had a lot of oil as you mention and it looked like I had blue smoke coming out the tailpipes as the oil was burning on the manifold and flowing under the car.) It turned out to be oil coming out of the dipstick tube where it meets the engine block at the bottom. I tried putting extra RTV and other things to stop it but too much pressure caused it to leak again. I ended up putting an oil breather cap on that had an outlet that i could route a hose to the bottom of the air cleaner. This allowed the engine vacuum to reduce the pressure inside the crankcase and now no more leak. I got this tip from this forum. You can do a search to find it. Try this link: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=390197

If that does not take you there, do a search on "Oil blow by out dipstick" under my username. Good Luck

Old 09-10-2006, 02:18 AM

Right now I have foam baffled breathers on both covers. So you think if I switch to a breather vented to the air cleaner on the passenger side, would do the trick? From reading various blowby and pcv threads it seems like I should replace my pcv valve. Would a failed pcv valve cause this oil spray? Havent touched the PCV valve before. how do you know if is failing? also is this just a simple switch/swap job? ------ I shook the valve and it does rattle...

Last edited by Perthos; 09-10-2006 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:39 AM

PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valves are pretty cheap. Go ahead and replace it and make sure the hose is not blocked. If that does not work then you may want to try the vented breather idea.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to "Puddles the Pontiac"

i had a problem just like this. i had too much crankcase pressure and the vented breathers were not working good enough. i had the valley pan pcv plugged and ran a single breather on the pass. side valve cover.

then switched to a pcv on the valve cover, still had the valley pan plugged. it started sucking oil through the intake and burning it, (smoke out tailpipe).

finally i ran the valve cover pcv line to the underside of the air cleaner lid. and put a pcv in the valley pan and ran it to the carb.

that fixed it.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:32 PM

so I decided to take another look at where the oil might be coming from so I cleaned up the engine, leaned over and hit the throttle and let it sit at about 3000 for just a bit. Then I saw it. Oil dripping from the the valley pan into the crevice between the block and the water pump. So it would seem that the front of my valley gasket has blown. This is not something I have replaced before. anyone here have done this? wondering why it blew in the first place....

Old 09-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perthos
so I decided to take another look at where the oil might be coming from so I cleaned up the engine, leaned over and hit the throttle and let it sit at about 3000 for just a bit. Then I saw it. Oil dripping from the the valley pan into the crevice between the block and the water pump. So it would seem that the front of my valley gasket has blown. This is not something I have replaced before. anyone here have done this? wondering why it blew in the first place....
It is not hard--just a little time consuming--remove the carb and intake manifold and you will have the valley cover exposed. Two bolts hold it down, so just unbolt them and pry it loose. Clean all the surfaces well, and you should be able to get it to seal well. Try not to drop stuff down into the engine. I would change the oil/filter after warming it up well after you are finished.

This is also a good time to inspect your cam and lifters since they are exposed.

This probably happened because there is quite a bit of pressure in your crankcase so I would also work to solve that at the same time using suggestions that you have received.

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

crankcase pressure buildup possibly

1 69 gto 4 speed
1 69 gto judge
1 75 ta
1 79 formula
1 80 formula
1 81 ta
1 89 formula
1 96 ta
1 66 mustang
1 84 mustang
kaysersuzuki@yahoo.com
Old 09-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Before you go to all of the trouble of removing the manifold and valley pan, you may want to check the grommet that the PCV valve fits in on the top of the valley pan. If it is cracked, it will leak oil just as you describe. If your valley pan is leaking, it will most probably be along the edges. I've rarely seen them leak where the hold down bolts go through the top of the pan (although this is also possible).
Hope this helps,
Mike

Old 09-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyjensen
I had this issue when I reassembled my engine in my 68 GTO. ..
I ended up putting an oil breather cap on that had an outlet that i could route a hose to the bottom of the air cleaner. This allowed the engine vacuum to reduce the pressure inside the crankcase and now no more leak.
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddles the Pontiac
...finally i ran the valve cover pcv line to the underside of the air cleaner lid. and put a pcv in the valley pan and ran it to the carb.
I have the exact same issue when I get on it hard - full runs up to redline (5600). I was told this is common due to the crankcase presssure and while the oil looks like A LOT, it's really not because of how it's sprayed all over the engine comparment at RPMs/higher speeds. To prevent this, I was told that Pontiac ran a hose from the oil breather back to the side of the air cleaner that had a white foam-type "filter" to soak up the oil. This solves the problem for stock applications...

Well, I don't run a stock air cleaner, so what are others doing in this case? Drill a nice size hole under the bottom lid (base) of the air cleaner towards the carb then shove the hose in to "soak up" the oil through the K&N filter (hopefully)?

I plan to check the bottom end of my dipstick tube, but from what I've seen oil is simply blowing out the oil breather. (My dip stick is dry and has not popped up after a run).

Any other suggestions for adapting a non-stock air cleaner?

Thanks!

Jim.

* RA-IV 'spec' 400 (.060-over = 410ci), balanced, Comp Cams #9794041, #16 heads (72cc converted to large valve) with 1.65 Harland Sharp Rollers
* QuadraJet #7042210, HEI, Hurst V-Gate, FlowTech Headers, X-Pipe with dumps, Flowmasters, TH-350, 3.90 Posi
* Best ET: 14.06 - Bandimere Speedway, CO. @ 5,800+'
Old 09-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to "Puddles the Pontiac"

i am not using a stock air cleaner. i am using a holley air cleaner (14") that came with the hardware to route the pcv to the underside of the air cleaner. had to cut the hole and use sheet metal screws to hold the little tube fixture thing on.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:47 PM

So It was ineed the valley seal. I opened her up to have a look. I've posted some pics on a new thread found here. what should I be on the look out for when looking in here?
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=491689

Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ah hah i was right

1 69 gto 4 speed
1 69 gto judge
1 75 ta
1 79 formula
1 80 formula
1 81 ta
1 89 formula
1 96 ta
1 66 mustang
1 84 mustang
kaysersuzuki@yahoo.com
Old 09-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddles the Pontiac
i am not using a stock air cleaner. i am using a holley air cleaner (14") that came with the hardware to route the pcv to the underside of the air cleaner. had to cut the hole and use sheet metal screws to hold the little tube fixture thing on.
Thanks Puddles. Can you pick-out which Holley air cleaner you have:

http://www.holley.com/types/Air_Cleaners.asp

Neither 14" air cleaner mentions anything about included PCV hardware. The only one that does is 120-147 Sure-Flo Air Cleaner. Per the description: "Complete with all hardware and PCV adapter".

Perhaps the 14" Air Cleaners include the PCV hardware but they neglect to mention it???

Thanks!

Jim.

* RA-IV 'spec' 400 (.060-over = 410ci), balanced, Comp Cams #9794041, #16 heads (72cc converted to large valve) with 1.65 Harland Sharp Rollers
* QuadraJet #7042210, HEI, Hurst V-Gate, FlowTech Headers, X-Pipe with dumps, Flowmasters, TH-350, 3.90 Posi

Last edited by tremo; 09-21-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremo
Neither 14" air cleaner mentions anything about included PCV hardware. The only one that does is 120-147 Sure-Flo Air Cleaner. Per the description: "Complete with all hardware and PCV adapter".

Perhaps the 14" Air Cleaners include the PCV hardware but they neglect to mention it???
I think I answered my own question. I dug deeper and per the Installation Instructions:

"If the use of the PCV fresh air hose is desired, knockouts have been provided in the air cleaner base. Place the base on the carburetor and choose the knockout with the best location. Remove the base and use a punch to knock out the large hole and the two bolt holes. Install the elbow with the screws, nuts, and lock washers provided."

So, while they don't mention it in the part decscription, it looks like the air cleaner has knock-outs and the proper hardware for the PCV.

Thanks!

Jim.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

most aftermarket, name brand ( mr g, moroso in particular ), open element air cleaners ive run across over the years, have that provision for a pcv tube.

some have 3 knockouts, one big and two small ones for the screws, others have two screw KOs and a bunch of little ones for the pcv. those sound like a PITA. in addition, almost all mr Gasket air cleaners come with the pcv attachment hardware. however.......

that hardware is of the straight variety, meaning it points directly opposite from where it attaches. might be an issue with a drop base, and angled away.

mr gasket sells a stand alone pcv hardware kit where the tube is a 90* angle. that might be an easier fit under certain circumstances. cant imagine its more than 5 or 8 dollars.