Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-17-2006, 01:49 PM

Question help?

What are the best underdrive pulleys? Not including a serpentine conversion which is entirely too expensive right now. I want ones that...
1. Will work for street driving...no overheating,or charging problems.
2. Bolt up without any mods...standard Pontiac bolt pattern for a 71 455 or 72 400 block, not BBC bolt pattern.
3. Are anodized black or can be painted black.
4. Prices?

What is the best electric fuel pump?
1. For street/strip mild 455(Performer RPM intake,forged pistons, stock '96' heads(maybe ported),cam(xe274?? isn't that the one everyone recommends?), headers, duals.
2. Quiet one.
3. Longevity...I do not want to rebuild it or replace it often.
4 Prices?

Are any of those aftermarket(EBAY) H-beam rods worth using? Are any of them checked for dimensions? The one vender has Eagle H-beams for $509 until he runs out of "overstock".
1. For above motor what kind of rods are best...pressed or floating pin?
2. Is the any place to get Eagle's any cheaper or should I jump on these? They say they have both pressed and floating pin.

Thanks for any and all input. More questions to come as build progresses.
Jason

Old 11-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW..if its for the street then i wouldnt go under drive. i indirectly went underdrive when i converted big block chevy supercharger crank pulleys (smaller diameter) to my pontiac. it is kind of a pain in the butt at idle when you are trying to park...i have to constantly keep tapping the gas to get the rpms up to get enough rpms for the power steering to work...it ran hot at idle untill i added a smaller diameter water pump pulley to compensate. as for the alternator, well it works ok but works better with a couple extra RPMs at idle....
as for a quiet electric pump it seems to be more on how and where you mount it.

just my 2 cents

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
My Vortech Supercharger Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

May the Karma Gods meet you half way....