Old 01-13-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Need some tech advice

Hi, I'm new to the forum here and recently purchased a restored 1979 Solar Gold Trans Am. I could use a little advice though. I think I need to replace the battery cables and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the exact procedure to do this on a Olds 403. I did a search but didn't really see this out there. TIA.

BTW, here is my car...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	78919   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	78920  

Old 01-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember seeing that car on eBay 6 or 7 months ago. It's good looking and I even saved that first picture you posted, from when it was on the auction. I think it was in Delaware or Rhode Island, somewhere in that area, right? I was looking for one at the time. So congratulations on getting it. I ended up buying another gold 79 locally(Atlanta area). Mine needs alot of work to look as good as yours, but it runs and was cheap.
As for the battery cable replacement, I don't think there are any tricks, just some dirty work. Remove the cables from the battery first. Get under the car and remove the positive cable from the starter post. And remove the negative cable from where it's attached on the engine. Run the replacement cables along the same routes and connect them to the battery last.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You might want to check with GM or your local AC Delco parts distributer for availability of OEM style cables.
Most of the aftermarket stuff is pretty scary looking. (as far as side terminal ends go)