67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1967 Belt Buckle Emblems

While going through my Dealer Tech Bulletins binder for 1967 I found this entry in a P&A EXTRA! release No. 67-2, and dated Feb 9, 1967.

"Seat Belt Change For All 1967 Pontiac Body Styles

All standard and deluxe seat belt assemblies for 1967 models are being changed to incorporate a new emblem. This emblem is the "GM Mark of Excellence" emblem. It was formerly located on the door lock pillar, but now this emblem will be located on the seat belt buckle.

The difference in appearance will require a first and second type part for service replacement. The first type has the Fisher Coach Emblem and the second type has the GM Mark of Excellence Emblem. Cars using the first type seat belt buckle will have the GM Mark of Excellence Emblem located on the door lock pillar. The second type will be located on the seat belt buckle.

Second type parts are presently being released, and will be included in the replacement pages, effective April 1st.
"

My early-July-built GTO came into my possession fitted with the Fisher Coach buckle emblem belts and Mark of Excellence emblems on the door lock pillar. The car had passed through six previous owners and had been repainted, so I can't say for sure that it was built in this configuration. What type belt assemblies do you other '67 owners have in your cars, and when was your car built? If you have the "GM" emblem belts, what is the date code on the belt and is your belt a standard or deluxe/custom asssembly?

The Following User Says Thank You to gtoric For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2007, 04:08 AM
Senior Chief

Interesting.
The buckle emblems changed on the 67 Camaro too, but I've never seen it documented.
I've never seen any correlation to whether the emblem is on the door. I'll have to check on that detail.

I don't think I've ever seen a P&A EXTRA document. This was different from the dealer bulletins?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kurt, the P&A (Parts & Accessories) EXTRA! was sent to the parts department, not the service dept., so most of the time, the P&A EXTRA! sheets did not get put into the Tech Bulletins binders. But, in some of the smaller dealerships, everything ended up in one place.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtoric For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Senior Chief

Just checked my 06D (4th week of June, correct?) built 67 Firebird, it has the Fisher Coach emblem and there was a GM Mark of Excellence foil on the door when I bought it with one repaint. Looked like they left in place during repaint. Belts are dated 17C67.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:37 AM
Senior Chief

It sounds like the P&A Extras were a Pontiac item. Either that or somehow, with all the P&A's I have laying around, I've just never run across one.

I don't have all the 67 Chevy bulletins, but someone else commented that there may be a Chevy equivalent to that Pontiac bulletin.

I personally think the foil on the door was there all year. I'm confirming on a few original late 67 Camaros.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:50 PM

My car's build date is 3rd week of June, deluxe interior with GM buckle logos. Belt dates are 20-4-67 and 21-4-67. Car had a repaint so not sure if foil GM emblem was on the door but I replaced with repops anyway.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any more owners if cars built after Feb. '67 with original belts care to add to this post?

Old 02-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Senior Chief

The data is so far mixed. There's a Camaro with Dec 66 GM buckles (dated perfectly for the car), but most every other Camaro has had the Fisher Body buckles.
Maybe it was a change that was not implemented? I'll keep logging data and see if a trend develops.

And the GM foil tag seems to be there for the whole year. One of the last 67 LOS cars is original paint and it has them on both doors.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone else here with a LATE MODEL YEAR '67 'Bird that is reasonably unmolested who can add to this data base research?

Old 02-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 1st week of May built 67 Firebird with standard interior. All belts/buckles seem to be equally worn/dirty, so I would think they are original. The date codes range from 12-16 A 67. They are all "GM mark of excellence". The car has it's original doors and the blue GM foil decal "Mark of excellence" is on the driver's door.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bump. Anyone out there who can help with this question? Still looking for input from owners of late '67 cars with original belts. Need build date of car and assembly date codes of the belts, and a description of the buckle center emblem. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another bump. Now that our cars are coming out of winter storage, are there any more original late-build 'Birds that can add to this research?