Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Senior Chief

Default Buick 401 Nailhead

See one of these for sale cheap in my area - any pros / cons regarding this engine? Thinking of using it in a 64 LeMans. I assume that the mounts / bellhousing pattern will be the same.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 02-27-2007, 11:30 AM

I have 401s in my two Buicks and they are nice engines - lots of torque. One of the problems with these engines are spare parts and performance parts, expensive and rare. I would prefer a ´62-´66 engine before the earlier ones. They are easier for parts (TA Performance do have some stuff). But I have no knowledge if they will fit your ´64 LeMans or bolt up whatever trans you are using.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:38 AM

OK, I will be the first to ask. Why not hunt down a reasonably priced Pontiac engine and put that in there?
As far as pros/cons of using this engine:
pros: You know where this 401 is for sale
cons: it has less power potential than a readily available pontiac 400, is not original to the car, may require some gerrymandering to hook it up (although probably not much), will be viewed as an oddball if you ever try to sell it, parts will be more of a problem, etc. and etc. and etc.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgouras
OK, I will be the first to ask. Why not hunt down a reasonably priced Pontiac engine and put that in there?
As far as pros/cons of using this engine:
pros: You know where this 401 is for sale
cons: it has less power potential than a readily available pontiac 400, is not original to the car, may require some gerrymandering to hook it up (although probably not much), will be viewed as an oddball if you ever try to sell it, parts will be more of a problem, etc. and etc. and etc.
Good question, I should have asked myself the same.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

motor mounts will not be the same.
i'm unsure on bell mounting pattern.
nailheads are gorgeous V8's, and are becoming valuable with time for street rod guys.
you'd be better served buying and flipping the buick motor in order to install a pontiac.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it is a 64-66 engine it should have the later BOP bellhousing pattern. The motor mounts will be different though. I agree with the others that you would be better off finding a Pontiac engine for it.

www.jandjrepairandrestoration
Old 02-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You know, now that I think about it, I don't know if the Nailhead engines ever had the same bellhousing pattern as the 64-5 and up Pontiacs. I remember rebuilding a TH400 years ago that was for a 401 Nailhead and IIRC it had a unique style bellhousing pattern to it....

www.jandjrepairandrestoration
Old 02-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Leave the Nailheads to the Buick freaks. It will be a nightmare from the get go. The bellhousing pattern is different than the later Buicks, the common BOP pattern won't fit. You will only have a few choices for transmissions and will end up looking for a 64-66 nailheadTurbo 400. They also use very small valves that's where the name came from. The engine mounts will be another problem, you will need to find early GS mounts. If you think Pontiac parts are expensive, wait until you price Nailhead parts. The main bearing prices are unreal.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Senior Chief

Don't hold back guys - tell me how you really feel!

Many thanks for the replies. Guess I'll see how much this other guy wants for his '65 YF code 389.

Mark

Old 02-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The nailheads had a round top bellhousing that doesn't match the Chevy/BOP pattern,they had forged cranks/rods but parts are expensive. Early racers used to reverse the flow through the heads,using a front mounted roots blower to blow through the exhaust ports and exhaust out of the inlet ports!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Later nailheads (some call 'em Nailvalves) had Thm 400 trannys behind 'em. The pros are its a strong block with alot of nickel, the bottom end is very tough and lightweight (they can turn suprising RPM's) The bad part is it's been out of production 40 years, parts are not common.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K
... They also use very small valves that's where the name came from.
Never heard that. Always thought it was just because the rocker covers stand up vertical.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a 65 Skylark GS. The heads use a pent roof combustion chamber. I know about the expensive main bearings because when I went to the parts stores, the counter person always did the double take when they saw the price of the bearings LOL. I talked with other people that owned GS cars and they said a good running samll block Chevy would beat them.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

One of the muscle car books made a comment that by the time the nailhead ended up in a GS they were old enough to shave.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walker
You know, now that I think about it, I don't know if the Nailhead engines ever had the same bellhousing pattern as the 64-5 and up Pontiacs. I remember rebuilding a TH400 years ago that was for a 401 Nailhead and IIRC it had a unique style bellhousing pattern to it....
jeff,the nailheads did indeed use a unique bellhousing. i've got a 65/6 wildcat out here with the nailhead th400 in it. it's nowhere near the pontiac bolt pattern.

i've got a little experience with them from my days in the buick dealership.they're are a decent engine, but as mentioned above use ancient technology. they do look cool in a rod tho.

buy the buick, sell it to somone who wants it and build a pontiac for your pontiac. you'll be happier in the long run.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill