Old 03-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Best locations to drill holes in 64 GP firewall

I need to get the mechanical sending units for three guages thru the firewall in my '64 GP. They are oil pressure, water temp and trans temp - they all need a good size hole for the sending unit. My car has AC and it is pretty tight under the dash.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know if '64s are the same, but on my '61 there's a big rubber grommet for the factory wiring harness over close to where the steering column passes through the firewall. I was able to pop that grommet out, feed the gauge leads through and then pop it back in so I didn't have to drill any holes.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

same as what Stuart said.Never had to drill holes.Tom

Old 03-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for your responses.

Stuart - the grommet for the 64 GP is a foot towards the side of the car and is behind the fuse box. I can't bend the tubing that sharp (I have mechanical and not electrical guages) and I don't have enough length to go where I need to (the other side).

PITTSBURGH 64 - I need to get two lines thru at the heater - but I have air conditioning and it takes up most of the area. I think I may be able to get the two lines thru under the AC box (basicly where they need to go anyway). I think I can get the one by the steering and brake line in. What did you use for the brake line? Did you make your own or were you able to buy a prefab line? I am running an 80 pound pump and would like that security.

I think your firewall looks great - it will be a project of mine for the future - I need to get the car drivable first, that 421 keeps calling my name.
Where did run your wires and hoses. Is that a vacuum tank over your brake booster? Depending how accurate my console vacuum guage is, I am only seeing 8-11 pounds at idle, I may need to add one.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj64car
Thanks for your responses.

Stuart - the grommet for the 64 GP is a foot towards the side of the car and is behind the fuse box. I can't bend the tubing that sharp (I have mechanical and not electrical guages) and I don't have enough length to go where I need to (the other side).
I'm running a mechanical gauge as well and didn't have any issues with bending the capillary tube, but the gauge I ended up buying had an extra long capillary tube. As a result I had plenty of length to work with, in fact I had to coil up some excess underneath the dash.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jeff,

I saw in one of your firewall pictures that you added a vacuum storage tank. How much did the vacuum storage take help? It looks like I may need to add a larger tank to help with all the vacuum power accessories. I added Tom Hands VOE to the car...WOW great sound....I have a small tank now and wondered what impact it made to operation. Do you just use it for the power assisted brakes?

Zig

I also agree with Stu and Tom. I never had to drill holes. The grommet near the steering column has been used for everything (temp, Tach, etc including vacuum lines and the remote mirror.)

Old 03-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks again for the info guys. I will check out that grommit and length again. The location would work for the water temp since I will take it of the back of the head. I can add a new line for the ol pressure and will add a SS line. I don't think the grommit will work for the trans temp and will still have drill a hole.

Mart

Old 03-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For monitoring oil pressure, there is a plug in the top of the block, at the rear right next to the distributor, that works well. Remove the plug and screw in a pipe thread adapter to match up to the oil line to your gauge, and you can leave the idiot light sensor in place down by the filter.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Senior Chief

That's where I ultimately want to run the line, but to access that location now I need to remove the distributer and I'm not up for that now. I climbed into the engine compartment (not a pretty site) to see if there was any way I could get my hands and tools down there - the vacum advance is in the way. Any tricks short of pulling the distributer?

Old 03-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Senior Chief

PITTSBURGH 64 - how difficult is it to remove the top of the dash? Did you make your own hose or were you able to buy a redi-made one.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks,

I will go to Summit this PM to one up as well a vacuum tank.