Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 04-12-2007, 12:07 AM

Default changing out tired iron

Hey everyone, Im new too this site all together. I recently purchased a solid 72 LeMans 2dr hardtop too build a clone of the car my parents had when they got married. The problem is the car has a pontiac 250 6cyl and th350 tranny. I have a GM 350 and GM TH350 to go in the car. I bought frame stands off of a 72 chevelle and so far this is all I know that I have to change. Can anyone please offer me advice on this swap, and what should be done with the 6 cyl. I just graduated from college so Im trying to do the nice car on a tight budget thing. If anyone knows of reputable pontiac enthusiasts around Lincoln, NE give me a shout. Thanks again and the site looks great. Dan

Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 AM
Suspended

First, Welcome to PY. Guess you already bought the chevy engine and trans. That's too bad (in my opinion). There is good Pontiac people about 150 miles from you, Tom and Jim Hand in Lee's Summit, Mo. on the southeast side of KC.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dads72lemans
If anyone knows of reputable pontiac enthusiasts around Lincoln, NE give me a shout. Thanks again and the site looks great. Dan
Welcome to the PY forums Dan. Darn good resourse for PONTIAC help and info. Problem is, if you are changing your Le Mans to a Chevelle you probably need to meet chevy people! LOL Chevy motors in Pontiacs dont get a lot of repect around here athough there are quite a few who are knowledgable about the GM small blocks. And a lot more who reinstalled real Pontiac power after buying a GTO or Firebird that some misguided soul had cobbled in a chev motor.
Unless you are a diehard chevy smallblock fan, you might check the local market to see what you could sell the sbc for. Its likely you can get enough to find a real motor for it. Here's another idea, If the 6cyl is not trashed dont totally discount its use, at least for a period of time while you arrange for a proper Pontiac 400. Most of us are so power crazed, a nice Le Mans with a 6cyl could be a refreshing variation on what we usually see.
As you suspected already, no matter if a chev v8 or Pontiac goes in you will need new motor mount brackets for the frame and some wiring detailing. The trans crossmember is usually not a problem. It can be slid back and forth to accomodate whatever trans you end up with.
Keep us informed on progress or lack of. If you go with a chevy motor you will catch a mountain of crap around here but you will still be among friends. (8-)

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What BVR said...

FWIW, that 6 is a 250 Chevy engine. The bellhousing on the TH350 (are you certain it's a 350 and not a 250?) is the same as your small block.

Please refer to the small block as a Chevy, and not a "GM". In today's new car "world", there are ONLY "corporate" engines. In olden times, each division had their own unique engines. You will find, the Pontiac V8 is a good one, and readily available. For a street-performance engine, the Pontiac is FAR superior to the 350 Chevy. For an all-out "race" engine, the Chevy has a slight edge due to race parts availability. It's no "giant killer", though. A 400 Pontiac, built to the same level of tune as a 400 small block, in a car as heavy as your LeMans, would blow the doors off the little Chevy. Big blocks are a different story...

Most importantly, build the car to suit yourself. We only offer advice. If you bought a "crater", let us know which one, and we can advise on how to make it perform as well as they advertise.

Jim

Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What BVR said...

FWIW, that 6 is a 250 Chevy engine. The bellhousing on the TH350 (are you certain it's a 350 and not a 250?) is the same as your small block.

Please refer to the small block as a Chevy, and not a "GM". In today's new car "world", there are ONLY "corporate" engines. In olden times, each division had their own unique engines. You will find, the Pontiac V8 is a good one, and readily available. For a street-performance engine, the Pontiac is FAR superior to the 350 Chevy. For an all-out "race" engine, the Chevy has a slight edge due to race parts availability. It's no "giant killer", though. A 400 Pontiac, built to the same level of tune as a 400 small block, in a car as heavy as your LeMans, would blow the doors off the little Chevy. Big blocks are a different story...

Most importantly, build the car to suit yourself. We only offer advice. If you bought a "crater", let us know which one, and we can advise on how to make it perform as well as they advertise.

Jim