Old 04-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Suspended

Angry gremin in the electrical...part two..aaagghhhhh!!

Thanks to those who helped me earlier regarding my first problem (motor cutting out periodically). I have since been able to fix (knock on wood) that issue by replacing the ignition switch. But I guess It'd be too easy to not make another problem when I fixed that one: now my tail lights refuse to go out! they stay lit as though I'm on the brakes at all times, and even stay on when the engine is turned off. I'm figuring this is directly related to the switch (purchased from PY) but are there any suggestions to help me out? I love my car dearly but sometimes I just want to kick it! lol. Thanks

Old 04-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it the brake lights that are stuck on? Do the front lights come on? possibly u bumped the brake switch when replacing the ignition switch??

Old 04-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Suspended

yeah all the other lights work fine, blinkers f and b, headlights, it's just the taillights. They stay fully on, in brake light position, at all times.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

so it's the stop filaments that are on all the time? If so, and the directionals work correctly, your brake light switch is not being depressed fully by the brake pedal, working under the dash, you can bump into it. Readjust it so that the plunger is fully depressed against the brake pedal arm when the pedal is up.

George

Old 04-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Suspended

update: ok so i dove under the dash of my car despite the rain and found the tail light switch just chillin' there, dangling from it's wiring! lol so I hooked it back up to a fully depressed position and viola! I have functional brake lights again! I also have a new found appreciation for checking your brake lights by yourself! lol I have one more question before I quit buggin you guys for a while, there are two switches (as far as i know, the switch closest to the floorboards is the running light switch and the switch above that is the tail light switch), should the running light switch also be depressed? when I saw it, it was just kissing the brake pedal arm, almost not touching at all. I want to make sure I have running lights tonight! Thanks for all the help!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry if I have missed something here, but The 1st problem was the brake light switch, correct, If u call it the taillight switch we will be thinking of the headlamp switch. 2nd we need to know what vehicle u are playing with, is it the 69 lemans? Is it and auto or std? I'm not quite sure what switches u are refering to. Running lights( Park lights) do not have switch under dash, it's with the head lamp switch.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Suspended

hey guys sorry for the delayed response (friday was a BIG night!). I got my light situation all sorted out, as in I have both the aforementioned switches fully depressed against the brake pedal arm and all lights (esp. the running lights and brake lights) are working well. thanks to all who helped me out. Im glad it was a simple issue this time around!