Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-12-2007, 09:06 AM

Red face Coolant Leak... Quick fix additive??? Need Advice

I was planning on taking my car to a show this morning but last night I discovered a coolant leak... I havent drove it in awhile so I took it to the store last night when I saw the leak. it's at the neck of the radiator where the upper hose attaches. I was wondering if using an additive would be a bad idea / quick fix or are they good enough to work for awhile. I also was wondering if it's a bad idea to have that stuff running though your entire system. I used Barrs Leak when I was in my teens on just about every car I had cause they were all barely running... It seemed to work for the most part. Anyway, this is on a 69 GTO and don't want to make a bad situation worse... Would you guys use this stuff? If so, (and you have) what brand would you use?? Thanks for any replys.... And yes, I did make sure the hose is tight ....

Old 05-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is a quick fix.....that will probably work just fine temporarily. Follow the instructions on the container. You can always flush your system when you get the radiator repaired. PS Carry an extra jug of coolant just in case.

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I use to manage a radiator shop. NEVER put that crap in you radiator. It's a very simple re-solder job to fix. A good shop will do it while you wait.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:36 AM

Thanks guys... I've already resigned to the fact that I'm not taking my car so I'll do right the first time. There's a rad. shop in town that I'm sure can fix it.
-Mark

Old 05-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Rize
Thanks guys... I've already resigned to the fact that I'm not taking my car so I'll do right the first time. There's a rad. shop in town that I'm sure can fix it.
-Mark
ask them to silver-solder it on.....it'll never leak again.............sometimes though you have to pull the tank to do this..........