Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 11-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, Its Done..... am I am thrilled with the look!!!

Before

After

Just got tired of the Rally II look....... and this will now suffice until the car heads to the bodyshop hopefully next fall.....

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 11-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Senior Chief

Both look equally good imo. The dog dishes give it that tough look. While others aren't big on the RWL, I've always liked 'em.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT
Looks great! The dog dish/RWL make it look badass!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 11-27-2007, 01:14 PM

That looks mean as hell!! Can't wait to get 'em on my '65. Only difference is my wheels are body color.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks !!!!

I had a feeling it would look mean.....

Glad I took the time to try it.

HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 11-27-2007, 01:31 PM

I think it looks killer. Anyone who says it does not is blind. How many Mopars came out of the factory with that look and they look great.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Rocket

LOVE this look.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT

Before

After

Just got tired of the Rally II look....... and this will now suffice until the car heads to the bodyshop hopefully next fall.....

First time I got the pictures to pop up and I think...........................ABSOLUTLY FREAKING KILLER !!!!! My god, it looks great and now I want to do it to my Lemans....lol. Wait, lets be trendy and throw some big ass 17" or even better, 20" rims and little skinny rubberbands around them and call them tires. Please..........Your car looks incredible.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow..... really thanks.

Who knows.... maybe even after I paint it next winter.... I might stay with this look.

I was thinking about 17's, .... but this look exceeded my expectations.....

HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 11-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those dog dishes look great on that '67 !
Nice choice, one reason I think it looks great is due to the color combo on your car

501 HP, 554 ft lbs TQ
12.14 ET @ 114 MPH , Supercase Muncie M22, 3:55
Suspension: HO Racing, BMR< Sykorat, and Bilsteins
Narrowed 12 bolt , 16x8 VintageWheel Works,
Comp T/As on street, MT Drag Radials @ Strip

http://www.sdperformance.com/custome...1.php?carID=42
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 PM

I was thinking about 17's, .... but this look exceeded my expectations.....[/QUOTE]

Oh man, not another one possibly going to the dark side. Remember, 15's have ALWAYS looked good. The large rims are the latest fad that will die when the next fad comes around. Look, it is your car and people can do what they want to their cars but we drive old cars cuz we like the style of OLD cars. 17's look good on my NEW truck but my old cars, not for me.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:33 PM

Thumbs up Nice look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry H
I was thinking about 17's, .... but this look exceeded my expectations.....

Oh man, not another one possibly going to the dark side. Remember, 15's have ALWAYS looked good. The large rims are the latest fad that will die when the next fad comes around. Look, it is your car and people can do what they want to their cars but we drive old cars cuz we like the style of OLD cars. 17's look good on my NEW truck but my old cars, not for me.
A set of seventeens met my expectations, because I knew it would look right. Some things ya just know are gonna work.

You wouldn't believe the number of car guys that have complimented me on my 17" rims, but you have to look closely to see exactly what's up with them.

A set of 17s done right can really add to the looks and handling on these old warriors. Not a fad or trend, but the wave of the future, 17s are pretty common-place nowadays and don't look too big on these older cars.

I run 14, 15 and 17-inch rims on my old Pontiacs, they all look right when they match the theme of the car they're fitted to.
---------------------------------------------------------

67GTONUT

Your GTO looks sweet, congrats on the great new look, I think you've changed my mind about the RWL tires on steel wheels with poverty caps. I would drop the rear down one or two inches, just enough to hide the very top of the rear tire.

Looking good either way!

Bart

Old 11-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man

67GTONUT

Your GTO looks sweet, congrats on the great new look, I think you've changed my mind about the RWL tires on steel wheels with poverty caps. I would drop the rear down one or two inches, just enough to hide the very top of the rear tire.

Looking good either way!

Bart
B-Man...... not to be corny, but you sayin that, made my day. I wasnt looking for approval from anyone, but getting it from you means something....

Maybe I am starting a new trend.....

HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 AM

[QUOTE=b-man]A set of seventeens met my expectations, because I knew it would look right. Some things ya just know are gonna work.

You wouldn't believe the number of car guys that have complimented me on my 17" rims, but you have to look closely to see exactly what's up with them.

A set of 17s done right can really add to the looks and handling on these old warriors. Not a fad or trend, but the wave of the future, 17s are pretty common-place nowadays and don't look too big on these older cars.

I run 14, 15 and 17-inch rims on my old Pontiacs, they all look right when they match the theme of the car they're fitted to.

Call me old school I guess. I myself do not care for the look. Because with the larger rims you have to run lower profile tires I guess. I figure if it looks so good, why did it take around 40 years or so for people to start doing it ?? I prefer stock size rims. I also do not like when people put modern interiors and gage clusters in the cars. I like old cars for being what they are. OLD ! with an old style to them. Might as well drive a new car if you want the new features.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a pic of my wife's '68 Firebird 350 HO Convertible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1299 (Large).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	112965   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1308 (Large).JPG
Views:	65
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	112966   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1307 (Large).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	112967  

Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 AM

Another great looking 'Bird.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

b-man, that is the look I want for my 65 Catalina 2dht. I want to run a 17 in. I have the dog dishes already but they are the flatter kind that say Pontiac around the circle. They require the clips. I want to have mine just like yours but painted white to match the car with the red painted stripe.

Can I ask how did you determine your back spacing? And did you say you had these made at stockton wheel? Also, what would one expect to pay for that?

I like the body color myself but the black looks just as stealth. In my obervation it does not matter the size of the wheel, just the style and "flash" of the wheel. I have seen these steel wheels in a 20 on a 63 impala. The car was a beige color and the top was white and so were the wheels. I was drooling. Now if that was a 20 wheel that was flashy chrome in some outrageous "busy" design I would have never paid the car any attention. I love the dog dish look.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 11-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Suspended

In my experience the stock style hub centric rim is superior in handling and strength to an after market lug centric rim.

After swapping out American racing aluminum rims to stock chrome steel rims I'll never go back to aluminum lug centric rims again.

Last edited by PITTSBURGH 64; 11-30-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
b-man, that is the look I want for my 65 Catalina 2dht. I want to run a 17 in. I have the dog dishes already but they are the flatter kind that say Pontiac around the circle. They require the clips. I want to have mine just like yours but painted white to match the car with the red painted stripe.

Can I ask how did you determine your back spacing? And did you say you had these made at stockton wheel? Also, what would one expect to pay for that?

I like the body color myself but the black looks just as stealth. In my obervation it does not matter the size of the wheel, just the style and "flash" of the wheel. I have seen these steel wheels in a 20 on a 63 impala. The car was a beige color and the top was white and so were the wheels. I was drooling. Now if that was a 20 wheel that was flashy chrome in some outrageous "busy" design I would have never paid the car any attention. I love the dog dish look.
Check out this thread, I tried my best to explain how to get down 'n dirty with your measuring tape and straightedge:http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=482290

I had a hard time dealing with Stockton Wheel and would not recommend them, I would try http://earlywheel.com/ or http://wheelvintiques.com/. I paid $145 each for mine about 10 years ago.

Mine have the red stripe painted on the black wheel to simulate the look of redline tires, at first most people think they're 14-inch rims with redline tires until they take a closer look.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Suspended

I used Wheels Of Steel, 1412 Switzer Ave in Visalia, CA.
Jeff (owner) treated me very well!
http://www.custombuiltsteelwheels.com/