Old 02-02-2008, 12:17 PM

Question 67 GTO reproduction rear bumper fit

I've read all the horror stories about the finish of the reproduction rear bumpers for the 67 model GTO. Has anyone actually installed one of these bumpers for fit? I'm interested in finding out how accurate the fit is. I recently purchased an original rechromed rear bumper from Gary's GTO Goodies off ebay. The bumper had one small noticeable flaw but looked good otherwise. When I went to install it, I found it did not fit my car properly. Seems the middle is too far in or the ends stick out. My car had a replacement rear panel back in the 80's, so I'm not sure if its the car or the bumper. The original bumper had a pretty good dent/bend in it about 2 inches from the center. If the fit is good on a reproduction, I can determine where my problem is. And yes, I am planning to sell the bumper I purchased from Gary's. I paid $650.00 for it. I'd take $400.00ish if someone was willing to pick it up. I'm located in Pottstown, PA.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pottstown, isn't that where Eastwood is HQ'ed? My wife would like to get her hands on them as much money as I've parted with there. At any rate, I don't really have an answer for you, but damn that Gary's GTO Goodies - he strikes again.

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods
Old 02-02-2008, 09:18 PM

Hey Greg, I'm not going to down Gary's on this one. When I first got the bumper I thought there may be a problem. I contacted Gary and he was willing to take it back. Stupid me! I figured I could mount and tweek it to perfection, but on my car it is a no go. I bought about a dozen or so items from him and have been very satisfied most of the time. You know how these cars can be, especially if you are a perfectionist.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGreg
Pottstown, isn't that where Eastwood is HQ'ed? My wife would like to get her hands on them as much money as I've parted with there. At any rate, I don't really have an answer for you, but damn that Gary's GTO Goodies - he strikes again.
Yeah Greg, Eastwood is HQ'd in Pottstown. It's not the same as when it was in Exton/Frazer as they had everything there. Now it's just the basics but still a great place. I was up there last summer for their car show. I didn't take my GTO but will this year for sure.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:59 PM

We just bought a 67 reproduction rear bumper made by dynacorn. We didn''t notice any major differences between the old and new in our initial inspection. The car is not yet painted but we wanted to test the fit and make sure the tail panel was correct since it has been kissed a few times in 40 years. There are many adjustments that can be made to get the bumper to fit. Up, down, fore, aft, and angle. We actually had to loosen the body mounts and shift the frame relative to the body in order to get the bumper to have the same gap on both ends. After several hours of adjustments we were convinced that it will fit up quite nicely and it looks great.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGreg
At any rate, I don't really have an answer for you

Your clone may have a repro rear...

Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilPan
We just bought a 67 reproduction rear bumper made by dynacorn. We didn''t notice any major differences between the old and new in our initial inspection. The car is not yet painted but we wanted to test the fit and make sure the tail panel was correct since it has been kissed a few times in 40 years. There are many adjustments that can be made to get the bumper to fit. Up, down, fore, aft, and angle. We actually had to loosen the body mounts and shift the frame relative to the body in order to get the bumper to have the same gap on both ends. After several hours of adjustments we were convinced that it will fit up quite nicely and it looks great.

Oilpan did all he could, and got a great fit. That is enough convincing for me, but I am sure we will hear the contrary from those who just want to bolt it on for a perfect fit without making adjustments. (Shifting the body on the frame is a radical adjustment)

Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Senior Chief

I bought one looks great and fit's great.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:37 AM

Yes GTOGreg, Eastwood is located in Pottstown as GT182 verified. Its very convenient having them local. In fact, I'm heading over there this afternoon to grab a can of Rust Encapsulator.
Thanks OILPAN for the rear bumper fit assessment. I don't think loosening my body mounts will help me. The bumper fits real even side to side. The middle seems to be in and the top edge seems tighter in the middle. I tried to shim the bumper out in the middle then push the sides in, but it appeared that the rear frame panel bent in. Since the bumper was rechromed I was leery about forcing it too much. I did bend the middle about a quarter inch by blocking the ends and standing on it upside down in the middle for about a half hour. I measured it compared the orginal which fits good and the difference was minimal both with a straight edge and an angle finder. I also reshaped the side bumper mounts holes to provide me some additional movement, but it didn't help much. My original has about 6 flaws in it, but I guess they could all be repaired. At least I know it fits nice. Good job on making all those adjustments!
Goatmanmitch-The rear panel is original. When prepping the trunk, I found it had an A.S. Berman of Pottstown part sticker on it. This dealership was bought out by the Turner Group in the early 90's I believe. They also had Tri County Toyota in the same building. GM pulled the franchise from Turner because of Toyota. Also, my car is a PHS documented GTO. You may have noticed my post on the Lemans/Tempest page which was an accident on my part. I was learning how to post pics, wasn't paying attention and never figured out how to delete a post. When did they begin to make repro panels?

Old 04-18-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau98 View Post
I've read all the horror stories about the finish of the reproduction rear bumpers for the 67 model GTO. Has anyone actually installed one of these bumpers for fit? I'm interested in finding out how accurate the fit is. I recently purchased an original rechromed rear bumper from Gary's GTO Goodies off ebay. The bumper had one small noticeable flaw but looked good otherwise. When I went to install it, I found it did not fit my car properly. Seems the middle is too far in or the ends stick out. My car had a replacement rear panel back in the 80's, so I'm not sure if its the car or the bumper. The original bumper had a pretty good dent/bend in it about 2 inches from the center. If the fit is good on a reproduction, I can determine where my problem is. And yes, I am planning to sell the bumper I purchased from Gary's. I paid $650.00 for it. I'd take $400.00ish if someone was willing to pick it up. I'm located in Pottstown, PA.
Hi,I was wondering about your fit on the rear bumper??I replaced the rear tail panel 3 years ago,Fittin all parts the last few days and my rear bumper that came off the 67 gto is not fitting right at all.Should tuck under tail panel but both ends-right and left sides touch or hit rear trim pieces and bumper is not stright on the car.Was wondering could it be the bumber?or tail panel?Thanks Mike Peters