Old 03-30-2008, 01:08 PM

Default 1971 AM/FM Mono

Hey guys. I put the dash back in my 71 vert Friday night. I had the radio repaired about three years ago, never hooked it up, and had been storing it in the house. When I hooked up the battery and turned the radio on, it sounded great and even just hooked up to the ant lead (my windshield is out) picked up local FM stations very strong.

After about a two minutes, the sound began to get distorted, volume decreased and then no sound at all. Now the only sound is the thump when you turn the power on, nothing more. I am using the single front speaker, which is a new 10 ohm purchased from the same guy who repaired the radio.

Before I pull it and send it out again,( I really don't think I have grounds for complaining to the guy after all this time) just wonder what went wrong.

Everthing else on the dash works fine including lights, heater fan, etc.

Any idea's?

THanks

Old 03-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Senior Chief

Sounds like the output power amp problem. It may be as simple as a dirty bias resistor, or a bad output transistor. There should be a small hole in the back of the chassis that has a variable resistor within. You could try to adjust that by turning it just a "tad" and see if you get sound back. Output transistor should be warm, but not too warm to touch.
Let us know.
Stu

Old 03-30-2008, 09:53 PM

Thanks Stu, I'll do that tomorrow and let you know.

Randy

Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 PM

OK, here's what I discovered. I couldn't find the the adjustment so I removed the bottom cover and saw an adjustment "thing" next to the volume control. I turned the radio on and before I could mess anything up, there was sound for an instant. This has the flip dial, and by moving the arm (not the buttons) that switches between AM and FM, I can receive FM just fine. Reception is very good and the sound is acceptable.

Nothing at all on AM, not eve static. I turned the antena adjustment and that didn't make any difference. No movement of the arm helps either, although now the FM comes up just by pushing the button to FM like it should.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 PM

Turns out the problem was in the switch that changes fron AM to FM. Sprayed some De-oxit on it, worked it several times and now both AM and FM work.

Thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Senior Chief

Glad you got it working! I thought both bands were dead, hence the PA route. Anyway, a quick and cheap fix!!
Stu