Old 06-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Senior Chief

Default Gas tank strap finish, looks?

Hey all... silly little question, but....

Just finished cleaning/stripping/priming the old gas tank straps. Trying to decide on the topcoat. Gloss, semi-gloss, satin? Could care less about originality - I painted my entire underbody in gloss, not because I like it (I actually like the satin/matte look much better) but simply for ease of future cleaning. I plan on leaking lots of oil and various automotive fluids, along with putting plenty of road grime on it.

This car is going to be a street machine, and after what I went through cleaning/stripping it the first time.... WHEW. Never again.

Will gloss look ridiculous on the gas tank straps where visible from behind? I'm kinda thinking it might....

BTW I'm planning to leave the (new) gas tank natural metal and spraybomb clear over it... at least I think I am, unless someone has another suggestion...

Opinions, please...

Chris

We are building a bad-ass, hot-looking, hot-running Pontiac street machine.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

well your not going original so... (we are all debating raw straps vs. black straps) id go flat black on the straps as that will give some contrast against the steel tank & your gloss floors... just my opinion. the tank should stay nice on its own... some clears may yellow the tank

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkoester View Post
Hey all... silly little question, but....

Just finished cleaning/stripping/priming the old gas tank straps. Trying to decide on the topcoat. Gloss, semi-gloss, satin? Could care less about originality - I painted my entire underbody in gloss, not because I like it (I actually like the satin/matte look much better) but simply for ease of future cleaning. I plan on leaking lots of oil and various automotive fluids, along with putting plenty of road grime on it.

This car is going to be a street machine, and after what I went through cleaning/stripping it the first time.... WHEW. Never again.

Will gloss look ridiculous on the gas tank straps where visible from behind? I'm kinda thinking it might....

BTW I'm planning to leave the (new) gas tank natural metal and spraybomb clear over it... at least I think I am, unless someone has another suggestion...

Opinions, please...

Chris
Sounds like your level of originality matches my own.

I POR-d the entire underneath of my car. I also found some spray bomb silver to paint my new tank with. I also POR-d the tank straps for no other reason than convenience.

If you're worried about how it will look, just picture the position one needs to be in just to see the tank and straps, then imagine how often someone will be in that position.

Chances are, you could paint your tank hot pink and no one would notice except the one person turning the wrenches on your car (that would be you ).

Old 06-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETJUDGE View Post
the tank should stay nice on its own... some clears may yellow the tank
Is this really true? Won't the tank discolor/corrode/rust over time, just like any other unfinished steel?

69goatboy - what silver paint did you use on the tank? How long have you had it on for (if it's already on, that is) and how is it holding up?

Chris

Old 06-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
69goatboy - what silver paint did you use on the tank? How long have you had it on for (if it's already on, that is) and how is it holding up?

Chris
I just found some satin silver spray bomb at a local store, I might have been a Duplicolor or Rustoleum brand, I can't remember. Followed by a spray bomb clear.

It's been on for about 2-3 years now, but my car has seen zero miles since I've had it.
It's been holding up fine. (Except for the areas that I scratched the hell out of it getting the r/e back in)

I seem to be taking the LOOOONG route on the road to rebuild.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 AM

My Straps were from the factory (68 GTO from Baltimore) 60-70% Gloss Black. My entire car was undercoated by the original dealer and I had to scape every bit off (some areas up to 3/4"!). My entire frame, floor pans and tank straps are painted PPG DP90LF and the frame, control arms, rear axle, etc. was top coated with Sherwin Williams Polane T (Carbide Black). The floor pans and tank strap are not correct, but I like the contrast.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

eastwood sells a paint called tank tone but i have never used it. Im not sure if the tanks are galvinized. KEEP in mind today we rarely use the cars & most wont see rain, be stored or parked outside for long or see snow.... these cars now will outlast us if we keep them out of the elements...

Old 06-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

eastwood silver tone zinc paint. Throw a clear over it. If youre gonna drive the thing like it was meant to be (rain or shine) then a little yellowing wont matter anyway.

I silvertoned my tank (no clear) over a year and a half ago and over 16,000 daily driver miles in rain, sun, sleet and snow.

still looks silver, no rust that I can see. road grime is minimal.

68 Tempest Custom Convertible
71 Dodge W200 3/4 ton 4X4 4 speed
Old 06-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I painted my tank with Rustoleum Hammertone Silver. I kept some distance from the tank while spraying so the tank is more silver with less Hammertone effect. The good thing about the Hammertone is that it's pretty durable and chip resistant. I painted the tank straps with Eastwood Chassis Black. The combo looks good.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Senior Chief

Have you been running the Rustoleum Hammertone tank on the road? If so, for how long? How is it holding up?

Chris

Old 06-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Have you been running the Rustoleum Hammertone tank on the road? If so, for how long? How is it holding up?

Chris
I think I did it five years ago. It's holding up fine. I'll try to get a pic later today or tomorrow.

Last edited by goathead68; 06-15-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thats very interesting never thought to use that stuff

Old 06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's a couple of shots...........

It's sorta between flat and semi glossy. I don't know, I think it looks OK. And a can of the stuff is plenty to do two coats of the whole tank.

Bear in mind, this was a brand new tank when I did this. Your results may vary.

Last edited by goathead68; 06-16-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hmmmmmmmm thats not bad

Old 06-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Put clear on the tank and it will look great for years. I sprayed
clear on my new tank when I installed it in 1990 with aerosol can
clear and it still looks great 18 years later. I would go with new straps
and clear them as well so that the finish doesn't corrode. Some factories used painted straps and some used plated straps. If you paint the straps, 60 degree gloss black is the correct finish.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We just put this tank in another a-body and the finish on the straps was galvanized - big flakes. There also was a black ink logo on the straps that said GRIP with the registerd R in the circle. After further research there was a company that made the straps called GRIP Inc and they must of put there logo on the metal band material before it was made into straps. I know it is hard to see from the photo but here is a picture. Glad to help John Inline tube

Old 06-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Senior Chief

Had mine powdercoated in semi gloss black, looks good and should last longer than me ! Bruce.