The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Paint vs Powder Coat, inners, core, hinges

Any opinions?

Did powder coating on fame and frame components, thinking about trying on a few other items. Core support, inner fenders and hood hinges, application is 66 GP. It's a time consideration, one car is going together much faster than anticipated. A good thing...So in an attempt to keep the ball rolling I was wondering about pros and cons for these pieces. Car is not a concourse resto, so not constrained by thoses isssues. COlor is not an issue since powder coater has the (very close if not) correct semigloss black.

Not quite sure about hood hinges and spring. Definitely doing the inners, not quite sure about the core but leaning toward it for that.

Any comment appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Keith

Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Vrabec View Post

Not quite sure about hood hinges and spring. Definitely doing the inners, not quite sure about the core but leaning toward it for that.

Keith
Just me, but I would do to the core whatever I did for the inner fenders. I wouldn't paint or powder coat the hinges/springs as there are too many close tolerance sliding points...plate those instead. I just ordered a palmetto gray phosphate chemical to do mine (figuring I will use it later for bolts/brackets, etc. later). About $40 for, what is for me, a lifetime supply of the stuff. Same thing with the hood latch system, except I used the Caswell Black Oxide/sealant mix. You will need to blast the hinges/latch mechanism before applying either of these platings I mentioned. If you are going to send them out, check with the vendor first as they may not want you to blast them (but will most likely want you to clean them real good). There are very good services that will do this for you as well (Steve Gregori comes to mind). Of course, you're going to pay more than if you were to paint or powder.

If you do choose to spray the hinges, I would use the Eastwood detail gray paint, as it is close to original. The gray phosphate paint they sell is too charcoal-looking. After priming, spray light coats (maybe two, no more than 3). Powder coating them is going to be a good bit thicker but more durable in areas that don't rub...

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods

Last edited by GTOGreg; 06-17-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i dont think i have ever seen powder coated inner fenders....does it look good?

Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 AM

I've just completed powder coating my inners and core support and really like the way they turned out. The worst part of the job was removing the undercoating from the inners. This needs to be done before sandblasting.

I'd have to agree, probably better to paint or plate the hood hinges/springs.

Rgds,

Old 06-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

typically when i see a large panel powder coated...it looks like it has orange peel....does your coating lay down flat? any pics? thanks

Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm doing a 70 Formula and I opted to powder coat everything that was painted black other than the firewall, cowl and bottom.....brackets,rear end.....everything......it turned out excellent and will look good way longer than paint........

Old 06-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

pics please....

Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton70 View Post
pics please....
I'll post some when I get home from work.........

Old 06-18-2008, 08:43 PM

Check out my hinges that I had blasted an powder coated. Do they look ok?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton70 View Post
pics please....
not great but here's the frame.........it's not that glossy in person and it looks great.... much better than paint......I've done everything black with powdercoat. The Corvette guys even allow it now for Bloomington Gold certification .............