Old 06-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pontiac Performer Manifold for Divorced Choke Q-Jet

Hi,
I purchased a Pontiac Performer aluminum intake manifold pn: 2156 for my 68 GTO.
When I got it, I found that it is designed for the Q-Jet with the heat tubes rather than the cookstove type choke.
My old P4B is set up for the cookstove type choke.
Has anyone adapted a Pontiac Performer for a cookstove type choke, or am I going to have to buy a 4MC Q-Jet to use this manifold?
I posted in the Street section, but got no responses.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it gets worse as you soon find that the throttle bracket mounting is designed for the 72 and up bracket not your 68 setup. Also, if you happen to have A/C, the manifold boss for the upper bracket is in the wrong spot as well. easiest thing is the later model carb (or aftermarket) with an electric choke setup. Aftermarket manifolds = aftermarket modifications. There isn't any performance gain over a stock cast intake (do some searches here or check out the "building pontiac performance V8's" (or something like that) and other than the small weight savings, there's no real point in swapping a 68-70 intake for aluminum though that's just my opinion based on what I found in my research and others may chime in to disagree (but that doesn't change the fact that your choke and accelerator cable need to be modified!)

Old 06-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
I'm not really looking for a performance gain, its the blistered paint and rust that appears very quickly after rehabbing the cast iron manifold near the exhaust crossover.
Regardless of the paint that I use, it blisters very quickly, then starts to flake off and the rust starts. I figured that unpolished aluminum wouldn't do that.
I hadn't looked into the throttle bracket situation.
Maybe I should just get a 1 inch tall square bore to spreadbore carb adapter plate, hog out under under it and use the P4B. I made a rod for a 1 inch Q-Jet spacer for the cookstove to choke mechanism. It worked fine.
At least the cookstove type choke and the right mount for the throttle bracket are there. Only reason I took it off was the Holley 750 Vac Sec carb (3310) got about 1/2 the gas mileage as my Q-Jet with no real difference in performance.
I will probably make an adapter plate for the cookstove and figure out how to create a structure for my throttle cable bracket and ignition coil. I've got plenty of time and the existing cast iron manifold works fine, but is ugly.
Mike

Old 06-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Suspended

plate over tubes holes, and use cookstove on top of plate.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
I am in the process of building a steel plate for the cookstove.
I got a piece of 3/4" thick steel and cut it to about 2 3/4" square. I marked where the cookstove needs to attach and the two holes to line up with the bolt holes in the manifold. I'll use allen head screws to mount the plate to the manifold. That way the heads can be fllush with the top of the plate. I will need to hog out about 1/2" depth under the spring and arm in the cookstove, so the arm has well to rotate into.
I plan to use a 1" phenolic spacer between the manifold and the Q-Jet. The rod that connects the cookstove to the choke mechanism on the carb has a "U" shaped part that can be used to adjust the height differences.
I'll tackle the throttle bracket once I have completed the plate.
I'll post pictures once this forum is capable of posting again.
Mike

Old 06-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had one of those intakes on a car and i had all the same problems. The throddle bracket had to be extended, the intake sits up higher and the ram air stuff would not fit under the hood that 1 1/4" height make for some problems. The choke was also a problem. I made an alum. Plate and had the local weld shop weld it to the intake then i ground the weld and it all worked. I was hoping to bolt it one in 10 minutes but it took about 10 day by the time i was done.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Easy paint fix for your cast iron intake. Remove intake from engine. Remove flakieness from crossover. Apply VHT Hi-Temp cast iron gray manifold paint. Two coats. Let dry between coats. Spray intake with your favorite shade of Pontiac Metallic Blue paint. Two coats. Let dry between coats. Install intake and all other parts. Drive car.

The blue paint will turn slightly silver, but will not flake and come off. The secret is the hi-temp paint which is being used as primer.

Works well on exhaust ports too.

I have four years and about 6K miles on mine. And I didn't clean 'em all that well when I did this. Just scuffed 'em with some emory cloth and wiped 'em down with brake cleaner. I was in a hurry. Shoddiness paid off for once.

The pics are actually a few years old. The parts still look this good. And my car sits in an unheated, moist in the winter garage.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great tip on the VHT Hi-Temp cast iron gray manifold paint. I use it on my cast iron manifold after I make the swap.
I finished making a steel plate for cookstove. Milled 1/2" slot below the spring arm. Recessed the allen head bolt on the front side. Put everything together for a trial fit. Will tackle the throttle bracket today.

How did you get the pics into your post? I get failure notices every time I try!!!

Mike

Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbwdog View Post
Great tip on the VHT Hi-Temp cast iron gray manifold paint. I use it on my cast iron manifold after I make the swap.
I finished making a steel plate for cookstove. Milled 1/2" slot below the spring arm. Recessed the allen head bolt on the front side. Put everything together for a trial fit. Will tackle the throttle bracket today.

How did you get the pics into your post? I get failure notices every time I try!!!

Mike
Good luck on your fab job. Oughta be nice when you're done!

Regarding the pics in the posts, I have server space. The pics are stored there, linked to here.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HI,
Completed the steel plate for the cookstove. Did a trial fit and everything bolts up okay.
Next is the throttle bracket adapter.
Pics are courtesy of Brian's temp website.
Mike