Old 07-05-2008, 11:41 PM

Default 77 Control Arm Color

Are the upper control arms all a solid color or did they have the "dipped" look on the ends? I am thinking black with natural ball joints and bushings. I assume lower are all black also..with exception of the bushings and ball joints?

I know this seems very picky but since I have the whole front end down, I want to go back right!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 AM

1977blackta, you are correct in that the ends of the control arms(upper and lower) are bare metal. I have a 76 TA with 9k, and the upper and lower conrol arms are not painted on the ends. Also my 77, that has been in the family since new, never had any paint on the ends of the control arms.
I am currently restoring a 77 TA, and I used "Fresh Steel" paint from Classic Industries on the ends of the control arms. Looks very close to bare metal IMO
Hope this helps
Jon

Old 07-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Clean them up good and take a close look. You may find that the upper control arms were completely bare metal. My dads '78 Trans Am came that way and so did a friends '74 Trans Am I worked on recently. GM was really starting to get a little cheap by the mid-to-late 70's.

My findings have been that the bushings were installed before the control arms were dipped so the outer metal bushing shell should have black paint around the entire circumference.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, a lot of dirt to clean off first but it looks like they do have some black paint at least on parts of them. Interesting note on the "bare metal" ones. Wow. You would think they could have used a little paint.

Jonra3, yes I will probably use one of Eastwoods paints I have. If I don't see anything in the shop, I'll order a can of the "Fresh Steel". Classic does have some great paints too!

Thanks again for the tips. Appeciate a lot!

-Doug