Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 PM

Default Emissions question

Alright guys....trying to figure out exactly what to do here. I have a 4 speed 78 with a fresh 400 with a performer intake and a 17057274 quadrajet on it. (somehow lost the 17058263 long ago) The sole remaining emissions item is the charcoal cannister. My question is what exactly should I hook up on it if anything, it still has the line from the fuel tank to the canister and both lines from the fuel pump to the tank. Eventually I might try to piece together the rest of the emissions and get it all back together with the original intake and correct carb....but for now this is what I've got to deal with. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have the correct emissions diagram for my car but my carb has different vacuum ports than the original. This thing has been setting without a motor for 17 years and I'm just a few items from making it fire...kinda getting a bit anxious.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In addition to the line from the gas tank, there are three more lines to the canister.
There are two vapor lines from the carb and a vacuum line from the distributor TVS valve.
these photos show The two lines from the carb to the canister. The top line just above the main fuel line is the vapor line.
this line sends the fuel vapors to the canister. The line just below the main fuel line is the manifold purge line. This line goes to the purge valve on the canister and draws the fuel vapors out of the canister into the manifold.
The third line is the vacuum line from the distributor TVS valve that actuates the purge valve .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	109_0986.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	140643   Click image for larger version

Name:	109_0987.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	140644   Click image for larger version

Name:	109_0989.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	140645  

Last edited by Ollie; 08-22-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the pics.....I've got a diagram that shows where the lines go on the correct carb for the car, problem is I don't have the original carb anymore. Here's a couple of pics of my carb, note the vac ports are different than in the pics of your carb, this is why I'm having trouble. What I'm wanting to know is where to hook up the lines from the cannister to my carb or if it's even necessary or worth it since it's the only piece left of the emissions system left.

Also two more while I'm begging for help.....where do I hook up the line from the choke heat tube (the silver one in the picture sticking straight up with nothing on it) and on the rear choke pull off (I think thats what it's called anyway) there is a place for a vacuum line...where do I hook this? Does it go to manifold vacuum? Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carb2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	140671   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	140672  

Old 08-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784spdta View Post
Thanks for the pics.....I've got a diagram that shows where the lines go on the correct carb for the car, problem is I don't have the original carb anymore. Here's a couple of pics of my carb, note the vac ports are different than in the pics of your carb, this is why I'm having trouble. What I'm wanting to know is where to hook up the lines from the cannister to my carb or if it's even necessary or worth it since it's the only piece left of the emissions system left.

Also two more while I'm begging for help.....where do I hook up the line from the choke heat tube (the silver one in the picture sticking straight up with nothing on it) and on the rear choke pull off (I think thats what it's called anyway) there is a place for a vacuum line...where do I hook this? Does it go to manifold vacuum? Thanks again.
If you dont need the canister dont worry about it. Using that carb would take a bit of machining to connect it to the canister. the purge line could be connected to the nipple directly below the main fuel line. The vacuum line would require drilling and tapping that round flat spot directly above the main fuel inlet for a hose nipple.
The hot air tube connects to the air cleaner with the rubber hose with the blue stripe.
The choke pull off connects to the blue thermal switch on the air cleaner the second line connects to the vacuum fitting at the base of the carb on the back side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	109_0991.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	140774   Click image for larger version

Name:	109_0996.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	140781   Click image for larger version

Name:	109_0995.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	140782   Click image for larger version

Name:	109_0994.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	140784   Click image for larger version

Name:	109_0993.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	140785  

Last edited by Ollie; 08-23-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:15 PM

Thanks a bunch, now it all makes good sense to me. I really appreciate it.