The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-26-2008, 07:47 AM

Default Radiator core mount bushings

I'm putting my project 65 GTO back together and have all new bushings for the body and rad core. This has been a year long process and my memory of course is not working.The new mounts for the radiator core have a rubber piece with a metal sleeve, a rubber dounut, large fender washer, and the bolt with a normal and locking washer. I took lots of pictures when I began the project and it looks to me that there were 3 rubber pieces on my car. It looks like there was a rubber piece inside the frame rail, a rubber piece between the core support and the top of frame rail, and a rubber piece on top of the core support with the large fender washer on top of that. All of the kits show only 2 rubber pieces. What is the correct locations of those pieces?

Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 PM

I believe the doughnut goes underneath so all the vertical load going downward is on the uppr mount with the spacer. I have to look.

I found the repros to be soft compared to OE so I am switching to polygraphite there.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:12 PM

Thanks ClasJ. Can you tell if your mount has 2 or 3 rubber pieces? Is there a rubber piece inside of the frame rail. I'm not sure if you can see it with the car all together.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:40 PM

I looked yesterday. Best I can describe it is that the core support mounts are installed opposite of the rest of the mounts on the car in that the doughnut is visible from under the hood.

The mounts are two pieces plus the associated hardware.

The mounts are the same shape/size as some of the other mounts on the car but they were firmer with a metal insert originally. The difference I can see is that the reproduction mounts are softer and essentially a copy of the other body mounts rather than a true repro of the original stronger mounts.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:57 AM

Sorry for the delay but thanks for the info!

Old 09-16-2008, 03:07 PM

Found this picture a while back and saved it. Will hopefully be getting around to installing mine soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65-67RadSupBushings.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	143108  

Old 09-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thats a nice diagram...who made it up? who is the supplier? thanks

Old 09-18-2008, 12:21 PM

I found the diagram on the web (probably this forum), but I'm not sure which supplier it's from. I purchased my set from Performance Years and I'm pretty sure it came with it's own instructions. I'll check my files tonight when I get home.

I see you are in Sacramento, I'm just South of you in Lodi. Are you a member of the Northern CA GTO club?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:39 AM

nice diagram. thanks

Old 09-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

looks like a diagram from inline tube, I just bought body mounts from them and it has a similiar diagram cept for body mounts, the body mount kit I ordered came with radiator support mounts as well