Old 10-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Default Motor Mount Bracket Questions

I'm reinstalling the frame brackets for the motor mounts on a '65 GTO. The pictures I took before I removed them show the bolts pointing down (washers and nuts inside the frame), but the shop manual shows the bolts going up from inside the frame. Which way is correct?

The shop manual didn't list the torque setting for these bolts, just the motor mount to engine bolts (40-50 lb ft) and the long bolt that holds the motor mount to the bracket (30 lb ft). How much torque should I use to attach the brackets to the frame?

Also, do the brackets need any "wiggle room" while installing the engine? I'd hate to have them tightened completely and then need to loosen them with the engine dangling over me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

Last edited by dmdoneen; 10-13-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Every GTO I've seen has the nuts inside the frame. Torque of 25-30 ft. lb. will be fine. I don't think you need to worry about "wiggle room" unless you're using solid motor mounts. The rubber ones accomodate misalignment just fine.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 10-14-2008, 03:21 PM

Thank you for the response.

I had to use my home made recovery tool (magnet on a wire hanger) after dropping a nut and lockwasher down inside the frame. But I also recovered a regular washer, which must have been there since before I got the car in '86. The shop manual shows the regular washers are used on the passenger side upper bolts because the frame has slots instead of holes.