Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 PM

Default roll cage

ok guys i just ordered a 10 point roll cage for my 64 tempest i cant seem to find the requirements and what the proper install for this cage. for those of you that dont know me i know your thinking what a retard!!! i am new in the sport and am in the process of puting a car together for next season

Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

start with your NHRA rulebook, if you dont have one perhaps a racer friend has last years to give or lend. That will help a lot figuring what it takes to be legal. As far as install procedures Ive seen some nice VHS/DVD videos from the chassis shops such as Art Morrison that show step by step install of a roll cage and back half kit.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Depends on how fast you want to get it certified to. Go to this link: http://www.sfifoundation.com/ , then go to chassis specs, then drag roll cages. Figure out which kind of car you are going to build and order the book. Looks like they are $35. It will tell you everything you need to know. The NHRA rulebook is just a guide and doesn't tell you everything you need to know to build it.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:40 PM

i dont know anybody!!haha,would i cut through the floor or just weld it to the floor? no wonder why you are a ultimate warrior and i am just a little junior! all kidding aside i dont know anybody around here and its all over so i cant go out to the races and speek to people in the pits! your right there must be a dvd or something out there

Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Please don't take this the wrong way. As a rule if I don't know what I'm doing I pay to have it done right....especially a safty item..Sometimes it's cheaper in the long run...
Just my

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 10-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My shop is only 13 short hours from you. Bring it down I'll do it up right.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 10-28-2008, 07:19 PM

no you are a hundred percent correct and most of this i am having done but if i source this whole project out its going to cost me an arm and possibly a leg! its not that i am cheap or dont have the money but i am trying to do this whole thing on a certain amount i do know i am going to go over the 8k budget i am trying to do. i own a welder and do know how to weld so i fugure purchase the pre-built cage and weld it in myself?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It has to be welded to the frame. Get an NHRA rulebook for $10, and it will tell you all you need to know.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you TIG it or do you plan to wire feed weld it? TIG is by far the best way for penetration. A good chassis shop is well worth the extra money spent on a cage.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff no one will think you are a retard for asking questions around here. Lots of experienced racers and even builders get confused by the sometimes ambiguous NHRA rules. Do a search on this forum for nhra rules or roll bars and youll find dozens of posts, some will be useful.
As far a being a ultimate warrior, thats due to the number of posts someone has, ie: amount of time they waste on the internet instead of working on their cars. fewer posts is a badge of honor! we figure you are busy doing something useful.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Putting in a cage requires the assistance of a person who is either a professional welder or has installed one in a car previously.The kit will require fitting and cutting etc as they "never" go in smooth. I wouldn't attempt this lightly as you are going to be putting your life on the line every time you stage. I know cost is an issue but let me stress that safety requires you not to cut quality

I have actually seen a car that had a cage built out of exhaust pipe and painted to look like the real thing. You just can't fix stupid!

Old 10-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF KIEHN View Post
i know your thinking what a retard!!!
Jeff...We race Pontiacs, what does that tell you about US? Welcome to the club.

Rex

Old 10-29-2008, 03:00 PM

i was thinking of wire feeding it i dont have a tig but the more i think about it i should have that part of the car done by a pro! the problem is i live in podunk spokane! all that i have spoke to say, well i could give it a shot? most didnt instill alot of confidence?! its like im in a time warp! nobody seems to know anything and when you are as green as i am and new to the racing scene it feels like i am just throwing money out the window! i could have picked up a track ready 69 chevelle running low 10's for 15 k but its just not me i dont want to be like everbody else. its nice being able to talk to guys that have done all that i am trying to do

Old 10-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff

I live in the Tri cities just south of you and race a 67 Firebird that has a cage, but is only mini tubbed. I will be ripping my cage out over the winter to redo it. I can send you some pics of the NHRA rule book if you would like.

Robert

Old 10-29-2008, 04:49 PM

that is what i will be doing is a mini tub wanting to run the same times as you! can i get you to just bring your car up put it in my garage for the winter and duplicate everything that you have!hahaha do you ever come up here for any races? also do you know anybody around here that is knowledgable to get a car set up? if you have time give me a rundown on your setup? i.e. motor,gears,tranns/w brake?

Old 10-29-2008, 05:08 PM

Hey Jeff there is a chassis builder in Spokane that can put your cage in. He did my TA.
His shop is behind his house, off of Division behind Ulricks transmissions. I can't remember his name or address. I'll see if I have his contact info at home.
You might ask the guys at General Store in the auto dept, they might know of someone.

Also have you seen this website regarding the SMP? http://www.spokanemotorsportspark.com/
There are actually alot of car guys here and alot of performance businesses too.