Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Suspended

Default Easiest way of installing a 400 turbo??

Ok i have the jack under the car with my new 400 turbo on it, it is extended all the way up, my car is on jack stands but now i need to come down about 2 inches, without taking the trans back off and starting from scratch, is my only option to buy another floor jack?? Man this trans is heavy with the converter attached!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

either get a friend to lay under there and you 2 "man up" and muscle it up there, or let it down and put a 4x4 block under the trans and jack the trans up again. sounds like that will give you the extra height. and H*LL YEAH they're heavy when your on your back.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to screw (2) 1x6 boards together to act as a spacer between jack and tranny. I had the same problem: By the time you jack the car high enough to get the tranny to slide underneath, the second jack won't pick the tranny high enough to mate to the engine. Thus the need for spacers on the jack holding the tranny up. If only we bought an actual tranny jack, eh?

And after I got it all balanced on the boards and the jack, I realized I hadn't installed the converter. D'oh! I had to convince my loving girlfriend to crawl under there and hold the tranny steady as I stabbed the converter. Which took several minutes because the converter didn't want to play ball.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Senior Chief

Talking TH400 install

I've done this more than a few times! After getting the tranny under the car, take out the jack stands, lower the car down a bit. Then you and buddy (with no Miller in you) use wood on the jack and move tranny into position. Not easy, but almost impossible without lowering the vehicle down.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And it's really fun, putting the tranny back on the jack, while laying on your back.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put an old trans pan on mine and slid the transmission under the car, which allowed the car to be lower. I then enlisted all my inner strength and slid the trans up on the jack pad (had added a small piece of plywood to it) and jacked the transmission into place. I did NOT put the converter in place until I had the trans on the jack. I've done this three times in past years. No hernia operation required yet.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I put an old trans pan on mine and slid the transmission under the car, which allowed the car to be lower. I then enlisted all my inner strength and slid the trans up on the jack pad (had added a small piece of plywood to it) and jacked the transmission into place. I did NOT put the converter in place until I had the trans on the jack. I've done this three times in past years. No hernia operation required yet.

I do this once a year every winter in the racecar (...hopefully not more often than that!).

I use the above technique except after I slide the trans under the car I hook two of those "comealong" tie down straps to the frame rails and use those to lift the trans (and converter) high enough to get the floor jack under it.

Once the trans is balanced on the jack nicely I take it the rest of the way up.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 12-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's about the time you learn the value of screwing "alignment pins" into two of the bellhousing bolt holes in the block. Lets you get the trans "close" with the jack, and once you get the bellhousing "hooked" on the alignment pins, you just SHOVE while holding the tailshaft housing "up" and you're home.

I have an assortment of various bolts--short, long, different thread sizes, etc--that have the heads cut off, and a hacksaw-slot through the end suitable for use with a flat-blade screwdriver to pull 'em out with.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post
either get a friend to lay under there and you 2 "man up" and muscle it up there, or let it down and put a 4x4 block under the trans and jack the trans up again. sounds like that will give you the extra height. and H*LL YEAH they're heavy when your on your back.
Man up by yourself. Put the converter over your head, with your knees it shouldn't be a problem. Stab it onto the dowels, then install the lower 2 bolts- at least one hand tight. Make sure the converter is loose but no more than 3/16" from the flywheel. Install the rest of the bellhousing bolts, check the converter clearance throughout. Done- install the x member etc...

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com
Old 12-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's been a while but I've done this many times. The last two I did I drilled a 1/2 hole in the swivel on the jack. I then built a make shift jig with a 1/2 pin. A couple of straps to hold the balance. Then I located the trany in position lowering the car on the stands so jack will reach. I work alone most always so I must be creative.

I like to work alone but now with time and money running out I'll take all the help I can get.

69 400 Block, .030 over, KRE eagle stroker kt, KRE,CNC ported e-heads 310 cfm, port match RPM , comp roller 236/245@.05 586/600 lift 110 LS. 1.5 HS roller rockers, 350 Transmission, Red Neck tight 3500 stall converter, Ford 9” with 3.75’s, Strange center section, Moser 31spline axels, 29”Mt slicks, HRPARTSNSTUff anti roll system, Doug’s Headers 3.5” collectors, 22”Dynomax mufflers w/ H-pipe, Cliffs Q-jet, Fuel cell with sumps, Mallory 140 fuel pump and filter. Denny’s 3.5” drive shaft.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:47 PM

Post ATV Jack!!

I did my last 400 turbo put it on my $70 ATV Jack!!! Works good and very stable!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Suspended

dowel pins installed, lacking about 2 inches, buying another floor jack to lower my car down, kinda funny, all the friends you make over the yrs. and not one will let you borrow a floor jack for a couple hrs.??? i can understand the i don,t let my tools out but when they where in trouble guess who borowed mine?? LOL FOR NOW

Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ATV jacks are better than a transmission jack like Ponchbro said. The top base is about 12 x 12 just right for the pan on a 400. Goes down to about 5 inches and goes high enough to slide it right in. Mine has a foot pedal you can use with your hand. I have done a few with this jack and it is great and I got it for free.