Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:16 PM

Default Bad Paint Job on House

I put new siding on the West side of my house back in October. Looking at the paint dead on, it looks great. However, walking down the side of the house and looking at it from an angle it looks like "brush-stroke city". When I applied the paint it was only about 60 degrees, but the sun was shining directly on the house. My thoughts are that the sun was drying the paint too quickly for it to actually even out. I was thinking of repainting in the Spring and waiting for a cloudy day so it wouldn't dry to fast. - Is this logical thinking?

I don't think I used bad paint - it was Sherwin-Williams at about $30.00 per gallon.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

some pros will spray on with an airless and then roll it with a roller before it dries.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Sounds like you just need another good coat. Do not do it when it is cloudy, you don't want to paint when there is too much moisture in the air. Wait until it is warm again and roll one section at a time, catching the runs and doing the corners with a brush. You should be in good shape with two coats assuming you did not change color and it was clean to begin with.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 12-21-2008, 01:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
some pros will spray on with an airless and then roll it with a roller before it dries.
That is the only way to go, You can rent them and have your house done in a half of a day, They are very eazy to use.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the tips! I can't wait until it is warm enough to do it - this 0 degree stuff is not for me!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I cringe every time someone mentions airless outdoors- one guy I knew had to detail 10-12 cars. He lived in a cul-de-sac, with a light breeze and the overspray his neighbors were not impressed.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Back in my insurance adjustor days, I used to see quite a bit of those claims. Agreed - no one is ever really happy about overspray.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if you have brush-strokes in the paint,it is because it dried too fast,probably because of the sun shining on it(60 degrees won't hurt and will probably help slow the dry time slightly.)If it's latex,contrary to a previous post,high humidity days(but not raining,of course)will slow the dry time down,allowing the paint to flow out more and help eliminate brush-strokes.Keep in mind,tho,that the brush-strokes are already in there,and may "telegragh" thru to any subsequent coats.Sanding,a heavy coat,and a lower gloss(sheen)will all help to hide the brush-strokes.Adding some water(if it's latex)will also help,as will asking S.W. for a slow solvent(retarder)to add.Good luck.