Old 01-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question 69 PROTOTYPE/JUDGE-68 ET

i recently bought a 68 Tempest 2dr sedan, low mile granny car 6 auto....I wanna do a 68ET clone, most know its the prototype that the Judge was supposed to be, a low buck Roadrunner type car, but the Judge went the other way, as you all know.

I did a search here and with 3 search engines on the web, can anyone help with info and PICS???I found a bunch of info on the 69 prototype, but very little on the 68 ET..

The car I bought is so clean, its a strip and paint low mile car, a little banged up but rust free original paint.,... and it was cheap, and i wanted to do something different/unique...pics would help the most,how it was equipped would help too...it was a 350 HO car from what i found, but is probably gonna get a Ram Air II round port motor...lol....

Theres a little chatter here on the site but no real info or pics....thanks!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ok i was going to make this car & i just dont have the time money & room. the ET should be a POST COUPE, chrome bumper, GTO hood i think with 1 hood tach & another hood tach body on pass side as a reverse air intake from the cowl. the stripe is a white stripe with black outline & i can make that stripping & decals for the car. Interior was black & i dont recall auto or 4 spd. i do believe it came with the 350 HO but id go 400 im not sure if the 1st et was red or carousel red. this is off the top of my head i have a library of images & im sure i have pix of it. I was also informed from a man who bought parts from me in FLA & he states he has the original ET but i never got any images from him....
try not to confuse the ET with the PRE JUDGE .. as they looked different but come to find out the ETs images were used & airbrushed to look like the prejudge in ads as it didnt exist yet

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you can do a google search pontiac et & see what pops up

Old 01-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I already did a search,no pics, i kinda knew the options, i need pics of the stripe so my buddy can make them for me....i need a close up and full side profile, mark

Old 01-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Picture of the '69 E.T. here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=533097

1971 GT-37 - 350/M38, Rosewood Metallic/Black
www.GT-37.org
Old 01-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanksm fir the link, i found that pic all over the net literally everywhere on every Pontiac or muscle car website out there.

Still cant find anything on the 68, i know i saw an article on it in some muscle car book....

Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the stripe is the same to the pre judge. you should be able to take a judge stripe for sizing & just start at the door. i believe the pre judge had judge very small where the stripe ends.... im not sure if the ET said ET there. i think its white w/ black outline

Old 01-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
Thanksm fir the link, i found that pic all over the net literally everywhere on every Pontiac or muscle car website out there.

Still cant find anything on the 68, i know i saw an article on it in some muscle car book....
I don't think that there ever was a '68 E.T. design proposal. According to an article penned by John Sawruk that appeared in the book Muscle Pontiacs! The Years of Excitement (1985, Bookman Publishing/Motorbooks Int'l, Tomas Bonsall), there was a press release prepared by PMD and dated Oct 31, 1968, but was never released. I've never heard of a 1968 E.T.

Note the Cornering Lamps on the E.T. A strange option to order on a performance concept car.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a factory picture (fairly large) in color of the 69 ET.

I cant recall if it has script, or just a picture. If I can find it....I'll post.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe there is an article on the 40th Anniversary of the Judge with some ET info and a picture in the Jan 09 issue of Muscle Car Review.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The '69 E.T. LeMans was transformed into the GTO The Judge used by Hot Rod in their earliest road test article (Hot Rod Magazine, Dec 1968). In two of the three photos, you can still see the sedan b-pillar and the Cornering Lights on the front fenders. That pillar was airbrushed out for the first magazine ads for The Judge. Some ad photos have the Cornering Lights airbrushed out, some don't

I found these images out of the Jan 1969 issue of Cars magazine

Last edited by gtoric; 01-09-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool pics! Was the E.T. an auto trans car? I see the vacuum hose harness coming out of the intake thermo switch like an automatic car.

1971 GT-37 - 350/M38, Rosewood Metallic/Black
www.GT-37.org
Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 PM

That's a mnaual trans engine...If you look at the 2nd pic at the back of the passenger side of the intake you can see that "valve" that the 68 manual trans cars used...that's why you see the thermo vac switch hoses... the same was on the Ram Air engine in the "69 Performance Brochure" that had the prototype Judge in it. I don't think those were actually used on 69 cars...only on 68's?

Old 01-09-2009, 01:16 PM

Just a followup...that valve is called "distributor vacuum control valve"...
(PY part# PYE68)

Old 01-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's an image of the Limelight Green pre-production GTO that was converted by Royal Pontiac into the second The Judge.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What options did the 69 E.T. have it was to be a low buck car based off the lemans like the T-37 and the GT-37 anybody know the options.
I think
400 4 bbl engine
hood tach and second hood scoop on other side to match
bench seat?
4 speed - M20 to go with the 355 rear
it was a 69 model year

1970-71 seemed to be more the low buck years T-37, GT 37, 70 Olds W-31, 70 olds Rally 350, 71 heavy chevy.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did some research

What options did the 69 E.T. have it was to be a low buck car based off the lemans like the T-37 and the GT-37 anybody know the options.

It may have been stated above the E.T. car was made into the first Judge and is featured in the Road &Track, Hot Rod Road Test book that had the 69 line up and the proto type CR judge. The rear tail light are air brushed in and the post coupe chrome air brushed also. The cover of the book shows a shot and you can see the post coupe chrome trim. It also has the same E.T. white Strip on the side of the judge and the corner lights. Also rear power antenna. The Shifter in the photos is a bench seat shifter with no console but in another shot it shows buckets and a console. There is no wood grain in the dash to imply it is a lemans insert but in a gto and judge you got the wood grain. The engine is a 69 400 4 bbl engine or 350 4bbl - automatic - it has the thermo switch in the intake and the metal vacuum line off the carb is the automatic - the 4 speed had a metal line that ran back to the vacuum advance. But i do not see the trans modulator line that should be visable on automatic. looks like a 69 engine because the intake is 69 because the vacuum fitting in front of the carb is the larger 69 - in 68 it was smaller. Plus it has the 69 timing chain cover and water pump. It also says in the test book that it has a 390 rear gear but a close ratio 4 speed - M20 but in order to get a 390 you had to go with the M21 trans. Looks like and automatic engine with a 4 speed trans. All the engine shots seem to be automatics in the book.

Last page is the 69 Tempest Sprint Blue /black interior- it would be cool to find one of these. In the book it is a overhead cam 6, 4bbl, 3 speed car, post coupe, bench seat, hood tach car - Never seen one. saw a 67 sprint once, red cool car. I think this was available on Tempest, Custom S and lemans

It seems to be all mixed up - put together car - lots of stuff that does not go together

hood tach and second hood scoop on other side to match
bench seat or Buckets
4 speed - M20 to go with the 355 rear or M21 with 390
power disc brakes - it has the disc master.
under hood light option
cornering lights - odd
Deluxe seat belts but the one front buckle should be smaller than the other and they are both the same size.
post coupe tempest or lemans?
power antenna - no antenna in the front fender
68 lisence plate michigan green with yellow letters on the E.T. Car
No Chrome on the edge of the trunk lid or the rear lower quarter on both cars
it was a 69 model year
wonder if it had the base interior with rubber floor mat
it had no wood grain dash insert like lemans but it was in a judge

anybody know where this car is - it would be interesting to see the build date and the start of the VIN I am sure it started as a lemans or tempest. - Cool Stuff

1970-71 seemed to be more the low buck years T-37, GT 37, 70 Olds W-31, 70 olds Rally 350, 71 heavy chevy.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim Wangers states in the Pontiac Enthusiast article that both the E.T. conversion and the Limelight conversion were pre-production, non-V.I.N. cars and thus were crushed at the end of the year.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that sucks

Old 01-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, you should order one of my new American Muscle Car limited edition prints of your Judge! Go to the Collectibles For Sale forum to see my post for details. My print would make a great piece to display with your car.