Old 04-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Default 400 kickdown wire to trans

I have a 72 Lemans sport convertable with 400 and 400 turbo trans. somewhere along the line the 400 kickdown switch was removed. I replaced the switch and bracket but cannot find the wire that runs to the switch on the drivers side of the trans. Can anyone tell me where on the firewall connector this wire is supposed to come out and the color of the wire? would it be easier to just run a wire from the switch? if so which wire of the two that comes off the switch?

Old 04-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The wires inside the car are Pink (12 volt power) and Orange (to firewall).

Coming out of the wiring connector on the firewall would be Orange/Black to the tranny.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-12-2009, 05:20 PM

Well I couldnt find the orange and black wire in my 36 year old wire harness so I ran a jumper wire from the kickdown switch to the trans and it works perfectly, thanks for the help!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

Where does the switch go I changed from 350 tgo 400 I need to install kick down is the wire in the car already just connect it.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most GM A-bodies have it....it gets power from the radio +12V power source.

You need to get the correct gas pedal retaining bracket for a TH400 car and run a wire if yours is missing.

Easiest way is to run a wire from the "ign" terminal in the fuse box to the gas pedal switch. Run another wire from the switch to the trans....I like to use the speedo cable grommet in the floor to run the wire to the trans. Stock GM plug will work....has a black wire w/white tracer.

If you don't have the retaining bracket or switch, www.mrbuick.com makes them.