Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Dougs Headers in 64 GTO/Pypes 3" Hits Crossmember

474 with Kaufman HP heads in 64 GTO Dougs headers into Pypes 3" the pipe hook up into collector won't line up, it hits the crossmember, top of header flange sits
abt. 1/2" higher than crossmember, anyone have this problem, is it possible to have the pipe/flang (stainless) bent close to the flange to clear, or is there a special crossmember, HELP! This sucks, and hopefully someone else has dealt with this. Thanks in advance for any help

Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Administrator

I'm surprised you are saying the headers are a bit too high for the crossmember. In all the Doug's installs I have seen (including mine) the headers sit a little low. I'd look at your crossmember and make sure it hasn't been modified on the ends.(common rust problem). Also, yes there is aftermarket crossmembers that have a much wider and taller opening to improve clearance. The other solution would be to make collector reducers by mitre cutting and welding a collector flange at an angle that gets the pipe back on plane with the exhaust system.

Any pics you can post would be a big help.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
I'm surprised you are saying the headers are a bit too high for the crossmember. In all the Doug's installs I have seen (including mine) the headers sit a little low. I'd look at your crossmember and make sure it hasn't been modified on the ends.(common rust problem). Also, yes there is aftermarket crossmembers that have a much wider and taller opening to improve clearance. The other solution would be to make collector reducers by mitre cutting and welding a collector flange at an angle that gets the pipe back on plane with the exhaust system.

Any pics you can post would be a big help.
The only thing I can think of is the High Port Heads being a little taller, the passenger side will clear a 2.5 pipe, but with my 3" pipes it will rub the crossmember, on the driver side, it hits with 2.5, and with 3" won't even line up. I thought of the miter cut, but it's stainless so I'd have to have someone weld for me, and the bends would be rough, thinking that would hurt performance, and defeat the whole purpose of nice 3" mandrel bent pipe. I have a set of Pypes 3.5" collector to 3" pipe on orrder, they are one piece with 12" tubes that will get me past the crossmember, is it possible to have someone bend the pipe to fit with mandrel , or are these machines hard to find.
And yes my crossmember is stock, no welds , I even shimmed it up off the frame abt. 1/4" still hits. I had a real difficult time getting theses headers in, wondering if I got a mediocre pair, maybe the guy who bends them had a hangover that day LOL

Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

New motor mounts?????

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Administrator

The high port heads could certainly make a difference. I'd check with Kauffman and see if Headers sit higher on their heads. If yes, then I think the aftermarket crossmember is the solution. Mandrel bending of the 12" collector reducer is not an option. Taking a mandrel bend and cutting it and then welding a flange to it is also an option. btw, you can mig weld stainless pipe. Just use stainless wire and a splatter agent.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 05-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Senior Chief

Yes it is a new motor mount, Mity Mounts. So you think the 12" piece is too short to mandrel bend? If I could find a mandrel bend pipe it would have to be stainless, then it would have to be a stainless flange, Hedddman had a nice pipe/collector flange with a bend to it that you could kinda turn to get different angles, but the flange was the loose style and the pipe was only 2.5 and not stainless. The crossmember you show would work, but the closest application they show is 73 GTO Turbo 400, I have a Doug Nash 5 speed which utilizes the Turbo 400 Mountings, but don't know if the 73 and 64 width crossmember etc. is the same or interchangeable.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My trans crossmember has been modified on the ends (raised 3/4") and i still had to section it for exhaust pipe clearance at the "humps." thats with a higher ex port cv1 too. Your car is far from stock, I would modify it of make a custom tubular one and save some weight and a ton of room.

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnxtreme1963 View Post
Yes it is a new motor mount, Mity Mounts. So you think the 12" piece is too short to mandrel bend? If I could find a mandrel bend pipe it would have to be stainless, then it would have to be a stainless flange, Hedddman had a nice pipe/collector flange with a bend to it that you could kinda turn to get different angles, but the flange was the loose style and the pipe was only 2.5 and not stainless. The crossmember you show would work, but the closest application they show is 73 GTO Turbo 400, I have a Doug Nash 5 speed which utilizes the Turbo 400 Mountings, but don't know if the 73 and 64 width crossmember etc. is the same or interchangeable.
yes, 12" is way too short. Pypes has 15 and 30 degree mandrel bends available. They have 3" and 3.5" flanges also. Cutting it in the appropriate spot should solve the problem.

Also check out this site. I'm sure they have a crossmember for your application.

http://www.crossmembers.com/BODY.htm

Old 05-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Senior Chief

Looks like the crossmember may be the way to go, will check the Pypes deal also, but I thinkthe crossmember will be a little more costly but less aggravating. Any other crossmember companies out there?

Old 05-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

YOU COULD MAKE ONE LIKE THAT FAIRLY EASY AND INEXPENSIVE IF YOU HAVE ACCES TO A WELDER AND A CHOP SAW. sorry for caps

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
YOU COULD MAKE ONE LIKE THAT FAIRLY EASY AND INEXPENSIVE IF YOU HAVE ACCES TO A WELDER AND A CHOP SAW. sorry for caps
I have all of that, except the time, and time is money, thank god work is extremely busy, and I need to get this done ASAP, or I'd definetely do it, also this piece is powdercoated, so it's bolt on and go, I think it's the way to go, but a little pricey, sucks only one company makes them.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:16 PM

I had a similar problem with my car, having the 3" exhaust made it hit the crossmember...I bought the G-force crossmember to end the problem.
I did run into a problem after installing it, the crossmember forced my tranny up a tiny bit, which then ran a clearance problem with the driveshaft to the driveshaft loop....just check all before lowering it and driving it. This crossmember definatly added weight to my car, but it feels a slight bit stiffer now also.
good luck

94 TransAm couple bolt-ons
03 F150 SuperCrew Fx4
88 Mustang LX T-Top 5-speed