Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 PM

Default New Pontiac Owner

This is my first post here so forgive me if I posted in the wrong forum. I recently purchased my first Pontiac - a 1970 Lemans with a 400 and TH400. I don't know anything about Pontiacs or classic cars in general. All of my past project vehicles have been late model stangs but I'm ready for a change. I am glad I chose Pontiac because I like the uniqueness and cult following the Pontiacs have versus everyday chevy's and fords (i still really like mopars though). I have attached some pics of my lemans. Let me know what you guys think. The 18" wheels looked a little flashy to me at first but they are starting to grow on me. I am adding a black vinyl top and completing the interior and exterior trim. I am not going to do a gto clone because i like the look of the lemans better.

Anyways, I purchased the car approximately 75% restored. I am finishing the restoration. I took the car to a local shop to rebuild the quadrajet carb. The shop owner also recommended upgrading to an MSD ignition, so I told him to buy a 6AL and whatever distributor is required. He is currently ordering the parts. I am now starting to regret my decision a little after reading about people tuning their stock ignition system. Is the MSD a waste of money? Another reason I bought the MSD was so i could easily install a tachometer.

Also, does anyone know of a good Pontiac performance mechanic in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? I am closer to Fort Worth, but don't mind driving anywhere in DFW. Once I get the car running good, I might consider some street mods.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 06-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome home. The experts here will help you with all your problems.
Nothing wrong with the MSD setup. Go for it. Especially if the origional distributor was already worn out.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiacmuscle

Welcome Jason! Nice Ride! You'll fit in just fine around here.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 PM

Jason welcome to the Pontiac world, I too was a late model stang guy till I got the opportunity to get into my 70 Lemans.

Good luck with your car, it looks like you got a nice one!

94 TransAm couple bolt-ons
03 F150 SuperCrew Fx4
88 Mustang LX T-Top 5-speed
Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cult??? Is that what we are??? HHHHHMMMMMMMMMM.....

Don't know how to take that... I thought we were just a group that recognized "The Great One"...

It's okay. Welcome aboard. You have now joined the highest echelon of muscle car performance. Afterall, GTO didn't get it's reputation from LOSING...(:-

Jim

Old 06-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We like to refer to ourselves as a "subculture".

Try doing an internet search for DAPA, the Dallas Area Pontiac Association. Several members post here and I'm sure they'll chime in with suggestions for a shop but they're a great club and joining them will only enhance your Pontiac experience.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:26 PM

thanks guys.

PunchT37: i guess i feel a little better about buying the MSD. I was hesitant because of all my late model mustangs, aftermarket ignition systems are a waste of money unless you have a serious race car. Even with 9 pounds of boost and raised rev limiter, i never needed an aftermarket ignition system. perhaps they are more beneficial compared to the older ignition designs.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Got to ask

What was wrong with the distributor in the car? Was it OE points type or newer OE HEI?

"Another reason I bought the MSD was so i could easily install a tachometer."

Not sure about that one, it's one trigger wire with any of them.

Just thinking about it, a lot of tachs wont work with MSD without having to buy an adapter.

Last edited by "QUICK-SILVER"; 06-03-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Thought of something
Old 06-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Senior Chief

One of the BIG lessons I've learned from this site is that the factory parts are waaaaay more capable than many people think. Dist, Q-Jet, cast iron intake to name a few.

Welcome. I'm a Mustang refugee too ('70 Mach I) but I'm better now!