Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default pool honesty

my family has coveted an in-ground pool for years. we dont think it is worth the expense and trouble tho. i notice many pools in my hood go unused most of the time.

fess up if you are a pool owner.

is it really worth the trouble and expense ??? i have heard it can cost over 1000.00 a year just in maintenance.

we live in the northeast (pa) with a short season. i have suggested a very large jacuzzi instead !!!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been a pool owner for about 6 years now, and love it. We live in FL, so that might make a difference, as we can use it almost all year long.

The kids are in it all the time........

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me start by saying that I do not have my own pool. I would honestly say that most people do not "get their moneys worth" from their pool. Sure they use it a lot that first year then it sits unused most of the time. Sure there are some who use them all the time, kids always in the pool, always having parties, etc. but they are few and far between. If you've got the money to spare go ahead and do it, it's always nice to have a pool when the weather turns hot.

Oh, BTW... I've got the best set-up- a neighbor with an inground pool. She never uses it, keeps it well maintained and we're welcome to use it whenever we please.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 06-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if i could pay a nieghbor HALF the cost of a new one and never have to f with it i would do it ! you are lucky !!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I've had an in-ground pool for 15 years now. I love it, but they are also a PITA.

As they get older they will require a lot of work, and most of it is expensive.

This spring mine developed a leak in one of the pipes underground. And the pool needs to be re-coated... I'd like to fill it in, but down here you have to have one, it's a law.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an inground. I myself don't go in too often,but my kids are in it ALOT. Mine is around 28,000 gallons,pretty big,but spend nowhere near $1000 a year. May through Sept. I spend maybe $400.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
‘55 Catalina
‘62 Mercury Meteor-all original, bought new by my grandfather
71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.-now my sons ride
Old 06-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
my family has coveted an in-ground pool for years.
Simple answer, "Thou shalt not covet". End of dilemma, LOL!

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 06-10-2009, 07:06 AM
Senior Chief

I installed my own Inground pool...it was my largest DIY project ever.

With the help of some good friends I did everything from the hole in the ground, the steel pool structure, the plumbing, the electrical, the vermiculite bottom, the liner install and the concrete deck around the pool, it was a massive DIY project.

I have two boys and one girl and they use it all the time along with there friends.
It does take some time to warm up. I did install a gas heater BUT that is costly to run!

As my kids get older I can see the pool not being used as much, and it is alot of maintenance, vacumning is constant as is emptying baskets and keeping an eye on levels. I have an automatic vacumn called a Viper, it worked great for about 2 seasons, now it always gets stuck in corners and I have done everything to try and figure it out!
I also installed an Aqua Rite chlorine generator, you add salt to the pool water and as the salt water solution passes thru the generator it converts to chlorine. After initial setup it works great and keeps the chlorine level perfect all season.

Would i do it again?...sometimes when I am removing the cover or skimming out leaves I complain and think it was a waste but when I see my kids enjoying themselves, it was all worth it.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the Midwest, there are far more above ground pools here than in ground. Used to have a 30' round. Not a lot of cost but time consuming. I used to enjoy it though. Nothing better than sparkling clean water.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have my second pool (moved , built one at the old house, then one at the new house), both were smaller , about 15,000 gallons...
a total of 25 yrs of ownership now...
my experirence is that the first months, maybe year , you spend lots of time checking etc..but as you get the hang of it, you spoend maybe 30 minutes a week , cleaning , pool , filters etc..
I have a cartridge filter system, kind of like a huge oil filter... I like that system...also both times I put my pool equipment INSIDE my garage...out of the sun , weather and gets it quieter....you can clean the stuff in the rain also.
I estimate my cost under $300/yr in chemicals , dont check the electric bill for the pool extra..but I run the pump 2 periods of 5 hrs a day...not during noon to 4 pm , (as thats the high peak for useage in town , lots of ACs here)...personally I used the pool ALOT first couple of years....kids used them all the time...now they have moved out and I dont use it much...used it the first time this year last sunday actually , but my wife swims every night (if no rain)...

also, both times I bult them i got ONLY the pool and saved quite a bit of money and built my own treated wood deck....around +- half the pool, to get more useabale yard left for the kids to play.......spent two weekends (first sat/sun ,doing the posts in the ground and sub structure, the next sat/sun to install the top of the deck) building the deck and $900 in materials (15 yrs ago), the in ground pool cost me $11,500 back then w/o the deck

pics of pool last summer, so you can see the decking type , grandchild using it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TnT pics  1 sommar 2008 089.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	171179   Click image for larger version

Name:	TnT pics  1 sommar 2008 092.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	171180  

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 06-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 26,000gal. inground and like others have said, I don't use it a whole lot but the wife, kids, grandkids sure do. It keeps them happy while I'm off racing/cruising and I can jump in and cool off when I get home.

Cost per year is gonna vary depending on how much you do yourself. Chemicals for me run about $400-500 per season (May-Sept). Opening/closing pool is about $300-400 ea. if farmed out - free if DIY. I've done both ways on this - depends on how busy I am and if help is available for cover, etc. Heating pool/spa I can't really say but that's a seperate item from maintenance anyway.

I also find that most of the time and expense is in the first couple weeks after opening. Once the chemistry is balanced (and the Maple trees behind me stop seeding ) I don't have to do much but check/adjust once a week or so.

Last edited by stags; 06-10-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will add,after reading some other responses,that my cost was with NO heater. As someone else mentioned,THAT can be a big expense. I agree,most of the upkeep/expense with me is when I first open it for the season. If I shock it weekly,and run the filter while it is being used,it is pretty much maintainance free till I close it in the fall. It actually stays cleaner the more it is used,that way I never have to vacuum!

‘55 Catalina
Old 06-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also have a neighbor with a 25'-30' pool and 8 person hot tub.
Both attached to the house deck, and an open invitation any time.
If fact, he tells me to use it especially when he's gone weekends and vacations.
And watch tv at night on his 52"r surround sound so it looks like he's home.
Even keeps beer in the fridge for me.
I help clean it spring-n-fall. Prbly spends about $200 a yr.
35 and divorced, so really only use's it cool off after yard work and bbq's with lots of young girls.
He's a car-n-bike guy too.
I'm over there nearly as much as my house.
I LIKE my nieghbor!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

27' round (above ground) with a 52" wall. Doesn't cost much to keep up, and when the kids are sick of it, I can pull it over with the pickup

Old 06-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

35,000 gallons....here. I don't open or close it anymore...I pay $250.00 each spring/summer.
I can see a grand spent easy. The bigger the pool, the bigger the pump, the more chemicals it needs, etc. Gotta count in the electric too.
My wife wants us too count in all the laundry too.
I love it at times, and hate it at times.....Like now, kinda murky with all the rain. If you have ever had a boat....same mentality.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i am a little surprised more folks dont have negative comments. i guess i am still on the fence about doing it. been wondering about how it affects re-sale value of the house OR how many potential buyers it would scare off....

Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
i am a little surprised more folks dont have negative comments. i guess i am still on the fence about doing it. been wondering about how it affects re-sale value of the house OR how many potential buyers it would scare off....
Good point.When I moved into my house in 96',some of my kids were very young,so I was LOOKING for a house with a pool,or a yard big enough to put my own in. BUT relators told me at the time that a house with a pool is usually harder to sell. Depends on where you live though,down south it may be just the opposite.
One other thing to consider that I thought of. Above ground vs. in ground,it's nice to have a deep end in an in ground pool,but one drawback is that you have to deal with more junk getting into the pool. Leaves,grass clippings,small critters,ect tend to fall in quite easily.

‘55 Catalina
Old 06-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
what I`ve heard around here (in the south) is that most buyers like a pool, but it only gives you about 55% return on your investment....so its not detracting from a sale , but its not an investment....if you have one , make sure NOT TO cover the entire yard, THEN its a negative...kids want yard to play in...

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Senior Chief

Just bought a house with a 24K gal in-ground. At first I was a bit ignorant on basic maintenance, but after educating myself on pool chemistry, you can save a lot of money on steering clear of the pool stores. Most chemicals are typical household items that can be purchased much cheaper at Costco or Sam's club.

Unscented bleach for shock/chlorine
baking soda to adjust TA
Washing soda or soda ash to adjust pH

Not to mention a nice sized garage would take it's place if we ever get tired of it

Old 06-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Senior Chief

I have used Borax to adjust PH......here is a link:
http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/borax_20mule.html