Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 PM

Default I had a guy stop by tonight

With a 65 TEMPEST CUSTOM 'vert. Neat car, 1 repaint in the wrong color, 3rd owner, 326 2spd auto, base car but in nice shape except for the frame which had enough rot I wouldn't fix it. Originally Cameao Ivory over red int with a white top. Now matador red, or close to it, with the red int. Power top steering and brakes deluxe wheel covers. V-8, auto were the only options. It was a neat car, super restorable, very respectable as is. It's a father / son project and the kid's all wound up re it.

HE's from New Bremen, Oh, bought the car from Motecello with a neat history, all the sales paperwork is in his posession as are a copy of the window sticker, and a written history fro mthe Original owner. Cool history linked to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

I though t I'd mention it as I don't see many Tempests anymore 'specially 'verts.

Sorry no pics but I told him about this forums and he's going to check it out and probably join up.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 AM

Talking And here he is!

Thanks for the help tonight Mike. Good to talk with someone who knows so much about Pontiacs. My son was in heaven walking amidst your cars and trying to figure what was what. He said his favorite was the Blue Goat ('68 or '69?).

I am looking for anyone who has parts for a 65 ragtop Tempest Custom. Especially front seat covers (two tone red) and door panels to match. I would settle for repop... and i probably will have to. That morokide wasn't meant to last 44 years!

Also looking for a new frame - I may have one lined up - but I am not sure yet.

I would like to find a new set of belt line chrome as a few of my pieces have been screwed through to hold them on.

Other than that, I should be able to find the rest I need for a restore with the many vendors who make GTO parts or finding OEM parts online. Oh yes - my son and I plan to keep her a Tempest Custom. There are just too few of these around anymore.

Let's see if I can get these photos to load.

No - having troubles - files too large and it's getting late. I will try Tuesday Night.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 AM

Tempest65: PM me about the trim. I have a 65 Tempest convertible as well. I have 2 sets of trim that is in good shape, maybe I can help.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 AM

Mike, It was great to meet you. There're not enough good Pontiac people in this area. Welcome to the site, you do need to be careful here or you'll get addicted to this place.

The blue GTO is my 68. Origionally a 400HO 4 spd 3:55 gear car. It had been molested with a a Chevy drivetrain when I got it. It came from the Celina area, The guy who owned it worked at Crown when we did on the paint line his first name was Tony.

Guys, his Tempest is a great starter project. It looks good as is but needs some love.

Mike.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That 68 must be a basket case. No wonder you where eye-ball'n my 68.
Welcome to the ponti-adict club Tempest65.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-23-2009, 12:32 PM

Mike, It's an 80's sstreet warrior, still has the flairs and boat paint it. She's pretty ugly but streetable. I've got most of the sheetmetal to do it just haven't gotten to it yet.

I was eyeing yours because the wife would drive it with the Auto, She hates the Comp plus shifter in mine.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-26-2009, 03:16 PM

Default 1965 Tempest Custom Convertible

Here are a couple of photos of my '65 Temp Vert. I have the original dealer invoice, I wonder if anyone can help me decode the optional equipment codes. V8 and Automatic are easy enough but the rest I don't know. Here they are.

061-081-Automatic-501-502-462-532-572-T04-631-V8-624-434

Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 65vertdside.bmp (181.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: bmp 65vertfront.bmp (181.5 KB, 84 views)

Old 06-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Senior Chief

Celina, New Breman, Crown,,,, This sounds familiar

Old 06-27-2009, 01:21 PM

Yeah, he's another one of us that was employed there.

The Documentation he has is unreal for this car. I'll let Mike Fill in the details if he wants to.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Senior Chief

Mike, Do you know something I don't ??? I hope I'm STILL there lol.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:12 PM

OK - The story on this car. The first owner was Bill York who was the press room manager for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and worked at the speedway for 52 years. He bought the car for his wife as he had a company car for 11 months a year. But he would take vacation during May every year and would drive the '65 Tempest to the track. He owned the car for 20 years. The car was also driven to New Bremen Speedway and other area raceways. This was particularly interesting for me having lived in New Bremen all my life.

Bill then sold the car to his cousin who was the head of engineering for Delco Kokomo. He had some steel put into the lower quarter panels and repainted it red. I am the third owner.

I have the original car invoice from Hedges Pontiac in Indianapolis as well as the sales contract and many receipts for muffler replacement and such. Hedges Pontiac sponsored cars for Cotton Owens, Ralph Earnhardt and others in the early 1960s.

So you can see my interest in returning this car to original. It has a good history as well as being "all there".

Old 07-03-2009, 06:32 AM

Smile

Friend used to pull out an NOS tail panel in GM wrapping at cruise nites, everyone wanted it until they started counting the ribs and realized it's for a Custom. He had to twist a guys arm with a Nightwatch Blue 65 Custom convert to buy it for a few hundred, it changed hands but I still see the car in the Detroit burbs on occasion.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome aboard! And from the pix, nice car.

The PHS docs will confirm all, but this car is not as lightly equipped as first suggested.

061 is the Basic Group Option, included the Pushbutton "Deluxe" AM Radio with front fender mounted Manual Antenna (Sales Code 392) plus the Front Seat Foam Cushion (extra foam padding in the seat construction, Sales Code 412), plus the Windshield Washer with Dual Speed Wipers (Sales Code 421), plus the Heavy Duty Air Cleaner (Sales Code 431 but I think this was ONLY applicable to the 6 cyl base engine), plus the Back-up Lamps (Sales Code 471).

081 is the Mirror Group, included the Visor Vanity Mirror (Sales Code 441), plus the Inside Tilting Non-Glare Rear View Mirror (Sales Code 442), plus the Outside Remote Control Mirror (Sales Code 444).

Sales Code 434 is Power Convertible Top (this was standard on the Lemans convertible but an option on the Tempest Custom convertible)
Sales Code 462 is Deluxe Wheel Discs
Sales Code 501 is Power Steering
Sales Code 502 is Power Assist Drum Brakes
Sales Code 532 is Soft Ray (tinted) Glass, Windshield Only
Sales Code 572 is the Spare Tire Cover
Sales Code 624 is Custom Front Pair Seat Belts with Outboard Retractors (Seat Belts for the outboard front seat positions were standard in ALL GM cars since Jan 1, 1964 built '64 models, the outboard retractors were a sweet extra. Rear seat belts were not yet a factory option, nor were the center seat positions equipped with a belt).
Sales Code 631 is the Floor Mats, Front Only
T04 identifies the Tire Option. I'm not sure about the '65 size, but I believe T04 identifies a White Wall Tire Option and possibly a larger size than was considered the base equipment standard size. The PHS will likely have the Tire Manifest code which will establish the actual size and sidewall as it came from the factory. Just guessing but I think they will turn out to be the 7.35x14 White Walls, manifest code BB.

Add the automatic and 2 bbl 326 and you have a pretty pricey Tempest Custom. In reality, I would describe your car as "nicely equipped" with a number of nice touches, in particular the power top, optional mirrors, and the seat belt retractors.

Since it is a convertible, you have the Heavy Duty "boxed" frame. If it was me, I wouldn't give up my original frame, I'd make repairs, even if it meant cutting sections out of a donor frame to patch the bad spots in yours. You could use a cheaper coupe frame as a donor for most of the pieces that make up the frame. Hard to imagine that it is toast based on what I see of the car, but I'm no expert on rust belt cars either.

Good luck on the project!

Old 07-06-2009, 03:03 PM

John, the Left rail is really soft and partially gone in a couple spots. The rest of the car's pretty solid.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-06-2009, 04:51 PM

John,

Thanks for all the additional information. I will print and save with my paperwork. PHS told me much about the codes - but not the T04 or the 081 group. All of these options are on the car nowexcept the Custom (spinner) hubcaps are on it but the Deluxe were "as ordered". I have found a correct AM pushbotton to replace the cassette player. I put new rubber on, 14" Uniroyal Tiger Paw whitewalls to give it a little GTO flair.

I have found a donor frame off a Texas Lemans '65 convertible. I was going to attempt my first frame off restoration anyway - this just forces the issue.

I have a correct dash clock and will add rear seatbelts (at my wife's inssistance) but will keep everything as close to original as I can. She will be a driver for my son and myself (no trailer queen) but we want her to do well when we show her off.

My son and myself will be in Dayton Tuesday for the convention and plan to be in Xenia for the drags on Friday.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Tire Manifest Code is found in Boxes 72 & 73 on your PHS Billing History Card.

Check to see if these Boxes are coded BB.

Back in the early '70s, salvage yards were full of Pontiac A bodies, I remember dragging home a handful of the Rally Clocks, I thought they were very cool to look at. But none of them worked so I tossed them. Wish I had kept at least one. I still think they look awesome.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:39 PM

Yes - boxes 72 & 73 are marked BB. Thank, again. Will you be in Dayton this week?

Old 07-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

So you had a guy stop by, eh?

Did you offer him a swig of your famous corn likker?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 PM

No I keep that for people I KNOW aren't revenuers!

Mike

- Winston Churchill