Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Default Road race Video Pocono Speedway

Went to Pocono speedway this weekend and raced on the double infield track, which is one of my favorite courses. It is big, and roomy and alot of track to have some fun and not get caught up in too much traffic. Car ran great and was fast. Had a couple minor little problems that will be addressed before going racing again. Check out the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF6q7tK1UVM

Old 07-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sa-weet

How'd the oil temps do?

Old 07-20-2009, 02:17 PM

It ran 250 degrees by the end of the session. The good news is with the new oil cooler (the biggest oiler cooler I could find) it help keep the temps from climbing quickly but it did climb. It was 70 degree weather so it was not really hot and I was driving the car hard so like they say "it is what it is" this motor driven like this will have high oil temps. Next block will NOT have any filler in it and will have to see what that will run at. On the second session I had a little too much fuel in the tank and I got black flag for spilling fuel every where.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just curious, coming down the front stretch into I guess turn one? What gear are you running that infield segment in? I only hear one downshift just before going back on the speedway.
You run an M-22 right? What's your rear gear now?

Also, I thought you ran that track CCW last time?

Old 07-20-2009, 03:45 PM

correct m-22 with a 3:50 gear ratio and this course we run the opposite way nascar runs, last time it was the single infield which we then run the nascar style. Gears are as follows I enter the front straight in 2nd and shift into third, I enter the first infield in third gear and then down shift into second on the little straight make a right turn go from second into third downshifting into 2nd before going back onto the oval section I go from 2nd to 3rd and 4th on back straight enter into second infiled in third take most of the infield in third and then back into second before entering into the front straightaway. To keep the oil temps down as much as possible somes spots I am not too much in the throttle just to keep up the speed.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Great vid --nice job driving .

Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Thank you for the video (and audio)!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don I love going on rides with you. Makes me think road racing. Maybe some day. Can you go over your engine and drive train combination. And rpm range. From the sounds you are using mufflers. Required? Thanks Don. Mark L

Old 07-21-2009, 04:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great video love that car and love watching it every time!.
i do have the impression watching your video,s that your always driving on the consirvatif side!! with your car. i never get the feeling your a agressif driver and stump it out full trottle..

Old 07-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice

Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the compliments, to answer a couple of the questions The motor is a 455 block .035 over with a 428 crank so 440 final cubes. PDUDE built the bottom end. Top end is KRE D-port 325 cfm aluminum heads with solid roller camshaft with 1.65 scorpion roller rockers. Manifold is a Victor with the top shaved off a little and angled for carb placement. Holley carb race prep by Shaker455 (carb has been awesome, thank you again Jeff) Rpm range I have been seeing usually on the track ranges from 4,000 to 6,500 rpm. The car really comes to life above 5,000 rpm. I have not taken the motor over 6,500 rpm Ken says it is good to 7,000 rpm. There are no mufflers on the car, just headers and 3 inch exhaust pipes. The only thing that ressembles mufflers are the two ear plugs I stuff in my ears. I do not drive the car too aggressively for a couple reason, on the track I feel if you stay consistent and keep the lap times the same usually in the long run it will pay off. Right know the car is about 85 % and I feel that shortly I will be at 100%, everytime I go back out it keeps getting faster and faster. I believe I got most of the motor sorted out and the whole car feels great, Possible things would be different if maybe I had a ton of money or someobody else to fix the car but when it comes down to it I pay for it and I have to fix it so I make sure I am some what careful with the car. It always feels better when I can put the car on the trailer in one piece.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes i kinda tought you where slowly build up the feel of the car! engine combo!!.its the best way to keep it together.
i wish i could have your patiens, but i need to trash the crap out of my Roadracing Firebird ( turd!!!!) to test the parts we sell!!! till braking point..