Old 09-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Speaking of rads for these cars, i replaced my rad with an aluminum for a 67-69 bird last summer. It was the same size.

I am just tryng to recall if i replaced the copper rad years ago with a larger one? hmmm.

Something else i recall doing is cutting out some of the rad support so that all of the rad sees air, if i recall correctly the rad in my car had a larger fin/tube area than the hole in the rad support. Something to check.

'74 ventura, (Fired july 14/06) '74 462 4-bolt (9.5-1), SCAT, Ross, T-II w/850DP (shaker455), TH350, Conti 10'' 3800, Supercomps, Magnaflow, 3'' Pypes, 3.73's, 28x13.5-15 ET streets.

1970 Beismeyer 17' flatbottom vdrive, 11.8:1 455P, ported heads, dual Qjet tunnel ram.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:29 PM

The stock radiator was 19"x29" and this one is 19"x31" and maybe .5"-1" thicker. It is slighty larger than the opening in the core support. I had to modify the battery tray so I could move the battery as close to the fender as possible and cut about an inch off the drivers side of the tray. The opening for the AC lines had to be widened a little to move the lines more towards the passenger side. I then had to modify the drivers side of the core support so the radiator can be placed close to the frame rail. Doing these modifications centered the radiator in the core support opening. I can still use the upper radiator support and fan shroud so once I paint the radiator black it will appear stock looking which is what I am going for.
If you don't have AC and your battery is in the trunk this would bolt right in but there would be a couple inches on the passenger side that are blocked by the core support

Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wasnt there 2 different length radiators on first gens, like the Camaros had, one for ac was longer??

Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 AM

On the core support you can see where there is two different spots to mount the isolator on the driver side. One for a longer radiator and one for a shorter one. It is only about a 1-2" difference. Mine already had the larger radiator.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 AM

Well good news, with the addition of the aluminum radiator and lower hose I am now seeing temps in the 180 range. This was on a 60 mile test drive. I actually may be running too cool now. On the highway it will sit at 180, but around town it will be in the 160-170 range so I may be installing a 180 degree thermostat in the future.

What will cause coolant to come out of the overflow hose on shutdown? I don't have an overflow bottle. I am thinking I may have just overfilled it but I was wondering if having the wrong type of radiator cap could cause it? I don't know if mine is made for an overflow system or not.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Senior Chief

If I was you, I'd pick up an overflow tank kit and a new cap designed for use with an overflow tank. Most parts stores sell them.